Re: [John Muir Trail] Snow

    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 30, 2011
      Where is Global Warming when one needs it?

      On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

      Results are out on the internet for the latest snow survey and they're comparing it to 1995. That was a bad year for hiking, with creek crossings being pretty difficult. The hiking stores in Sacramento did pretty poorly that year from a lack of business. The manager at REI wanted to hire me but they just weren't doing enough business. In mid August that year I hiked into Lords Meadow in the Emigrant and didn't even try to cross the river. I then headed up to Mt Lassen and did a hike and ran into snow over 10 ft deep in the trees at about 9000 ft. Better hope it gets hot for a few weeks.

    • John
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 3, 2011
        Roleigh

        Tardy response, just got back from a night out where I actually ***** in the woods.

        You asked;

        > I'd be curious
        > what the NPS powers that be would decide if they realized one month is all
        > it takes for decomposition if the TP is urinated upon and stirred with the
        > human waste before burying.

        I don't think this would be an option in areas where they are all ready requesting that you pack it out. Simply do to the fact that over the last 30? years they (we) haven't been successful in getting people to properly bury their waste, it is highly unlikely that people are going to adequately deal with their "poop soup".

        Additionally, what are people going to use to stir it? As one of many, I prefer to camp above treeline, not to many swizzle sticks up there.

        The catch lies in the fact that most backcountry users are city folk. Many of these people don't have a clue about where their poop goes, they don't even want to SEE it, let alone play with it.

        I'm not discounting this as a viable way of treating the issue (the tissue). If one wants to play with their poop, (where legal) this would be an alternative to simply burying. Personally, I would find it easier to just drop it in a baggy. I think the agencies are likely to take this same approach. What's easiest for people to comprehend and complete is most likely going to become the accepted policy.

        JD
        Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail (the book)
        www.johndittli.com