Re: JMT GPS coordinates and spreadsheet

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2007
      I read the trip report of your trip last year. Don't despair, you
      will eventually finish the trail. My wife and I started it in
      September 1969 and made it to Devil's Postpile. She tired of the hike
      and had slipped at Rush Creek slightly fracturing her foot as we found
      out later. In 1982 my oldest son, Owen who was 10 years old, my good
      friend Gary and I started the trail from Happy Isles. We left Sunday
      August 1. The following Wednesday Gary had knee problems and left us
      at Red's Meadow. My son and I took enough food to get to Vidette Mdw
      in two weeks and Gary planned to rejoin us there. He and his wife
      came in on that Friday and brought us enough food to finish the trip
      but he was still having knee problems. By the time we came out at
      Whitney Portal the following Wednesday he had been to the doctor and
      had an easy fix. We took a total of 25 days and walked 23 of them.
      Owen and I and sometimes my younger son Brian and sometimes my wife
      went back to the places that looked interesting and explored, and
      fished, them in more depth. Gary wanted to finish and we thought it
      would be soon. It took a bit longer. In 1990 he and I redid Tuolumne
      Mdw. to Agnew Mdw. The following year we did South Lk. to Florence
      Lk. both one week trips in October. He said he wanted to finish the
      trail on that trip. the next year the two of us and another friend
      went from Mammoth Lks., couldn't go in at Red's Mdw. because of that
      forest fire, to Florence Lk. In 1993 Gary and I went in from South
      Lk. at the very end of August and spent two weeks finishing to the
      Portal. We had excellent fishing, a 15 incher for our last night's
      dinner, and made Gary's dream come true. On the way down from Mt.
      Whitney we drove a couple of guys half our age into the ground the
      last 3 or 4 miles because they were not going to let two old coots
      pass them.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Aston" <kevin@...> wrote:

      > I am planning on doing the trail from Reds Meadows to the portal
      > starting 07/18/07. I have put a lot of work into a spreadsheet and GPS
      > maping on Garmin Mapsource. I have mileages, elevations and GPS
      > coordinates. If anyone is interested in my stuff it is on my website
      > at www.kevinaston.com . So are my pictures of my hike from the valley
      > to Vermillion July o6.
      > Happy Hiking
      > Kevin Aston

    • Kevin Aston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2007
        Thanks for the encouragement. I am excited to complete the hike this
        year. It is hanging over me like a toothache. It did give me some time
        to improve on my gear, however. Most of it was great, but my backpack
        fell apart from old age, and my sleeping bag was warmer than I needed,
        and I bought a bigger/lighter food container for myself for Christmas.
        Thanks again.