JMT GPS coordinates and spreadsheet

  • Kevin Aston
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2007
      I am planning on doing the trail from Reds Meadows to the portal
      starting 07/18/07. I have put a lot of work into a spreadsheet and GPS
      maping on Garmin Mapsource. I have mileages, elevations and GPS
      coordinates. If anyone is interested in my stuff it is on my website
      at www.kevinaston.com . So are my pictures of my hike from the valley
      to Vermillion July o6.
      Happy Hiking
      Kevin Aston
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2007
        I read the trip report of your trip last year. Don't despair, you
        will eventually finish the trail. My wife and I started it in
        September 1969 and made it to Devil's Postpile. She tired of the hike
        and had slipped at Rush Creek slightly fracturing her foot as we found
        out later. In 1982 my oldest son, Owen who was 10 years old, my good
        friend Gary and I started the trail from Happy Isles. We left Sunday
        August 1. The following Wednesday Gary had knee problems and left us
        at Red's Meadow. My son and I took enough food to get to Vidette Mdw
        in two weeks and Gary planned to rejoin us there. He and his wife
        came in on that Friday and brought us enough food to finish the trip
        but he was still having knee problems. By the time we came out at
        Whitney Portal the following Wednesday he had been to the doctor and
        had an easy fix. We took a total of 25 days and walked 23 of them.
        Owen and I and sometimes my younger son Brian and sometimes my wife
        went back to the places that looked interesting and explored, and
        fished, them in more depth. Gary wanted to finish and we thought it
        would be soon. It took a bit longer. In 1990 he and I redid Tuolumne
        Mdw. to Agnew Mdw. The following year we did South Lk. to Florence
        Lk. both one week trips in October. He said he wanted to finish the
        trail on that trip. the next year the two of us and another friend
        went from Mammoth Lks., couldn't go in at Red's Mdw. because of that
        forest fire, to Florence Lk. In 1993 Gary and I went in from South
        Lk. at the very end of August and spent two weeks finishing to the
        Portal. We had excellent fishing, a 15 incher for our last night's
        dinner, and made Gary's dream come true. On the way down from Mt.
        Whitney we drove a couple of guys half our age into the ground the
        last 3 or 4 miles because they were not going to let two old coots
        pass them.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Aston" <kevin@...> wrote:

        > I am planning on doing the trail from Reds Meadows to the portal
        > starting 07/18/07. I have put a lot of work into a spreadsheet and GPS
        > maping on Garmin Mapsource. I have mileages, elevations and GPS
        > coordinates. If anyone is interested in my stuff it is on my website
        > at www.kevinaston.com . So are my pictures of my hike from the valley
        > to Vermillion July o6.
        > Happy Hiking
        > Kevin Aston

      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 20, 2007
          Thanks for the encouragement. I am excited to complete the hike this
          year. It is hanging over me like a toothache. It did give me some time
          to improve on my gear, however. Most of it was great, but my backpack
          fell apart from old age, and my sleeping bag was warmer than I needed,
          and I bought a bigger/lighter food container for myself for Christmas.
          Thanks again.