Re: Timing

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
      Without a doubt, my favorite time of year is the end of summer, right
      after Labor Day. There are fewer people, fewer mosquitos and the
      weather is almost always beautiful - clear and stable. Plus, the
      nights are a little colder which makes it nice for sleeping. I did the
      JMT north to south starting on Labor Day and it was spectacular.
      paul
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jvfbender@...> wrote:

      > I am planning to do the first 3rd of a North-South JMT journey this
      summer ('07). I will
      > skip the valley and will begin out of Tuolomne Meadows. When would
      be the best time to
      > go to avoid excessive crowds and mosquitos? (Not sure which I
      dislike more but can
      > handle either in small doses)
      >
      > Thanks in advance.

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
        Hi Jim,

        For me, the best time is the end of May/early June.
        At that time of the year one can expect to find plenty
        of snow in the higher elevations/passes (trans highly
        scenic), NO mosquitoes, few if any 'tourists (trans
        day/weekend hikers), and the water running fast, fresh
        and cold. Just my 2 cents.

        Thomas

        > I am planning to do the first 3rd of a North-South
        > JMT journey this summer ('07). I will
        > skip the valley and will begin out of Tuolomne
        > Meadows. When would be the best time to
        > go to avoid excessive crowds and mosquitos? (Not
        > sure which I dislike more but can
        > handle either in small doses)
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • Pukkmann@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
          In a message dated 1/9/2007 7:56:04 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          tgtaylor7@... writes:

          > I am planning to do the first 3rd of a North-South
          > JMT journey this summer ('07). I will
          > skip the valley and will begin out of Tuolomne
          > Meadows. When would be the best time to
          > go to avoid excessive crowds and mosquitos? (Not
          > sure which I dislike more but can
          > handle either in small doses)
          >
          > Thanks in advance.

          From Aug. 20th on for me...I have done most of it in sections and always
          seem to miss the bugs, high water crossings...as far as crowds, there is plenty
          of time for solitude no matter when you go!