RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Trail bars

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 25, 2011

      Here’s the recipe.  Very good. Says it makes 20 but I could only eat half a bar before being very satiated.  YMMV.

      4 -5 cups rolled oats (I’d go with 4)

      1 cup shredded coconut

      I cup sunflower seeds

      1/3 cup ground flax seeds (I ground the seeds in a blender)

      1 cup wheat germ

      8 scoops protein powder (I used vanilla)

      ½ tbs salt

      Mix all this together in a LARGE bowl

      Melt the next 3 together in a saucepan until liquidy

      2 cups PB (think I used about 24 ozs)

      2 cups honey (I used about 20 ozs)

      2 cups choc chips

      Then mix the melted stuff with the dry mixed stuff.  First with a spoon, then you’ll need to use your hands, like kneading bread dough.

      Spread it onto wax paper lining a cookie sheet.  Press it down with your hands, then use a rolling pin to smooth it out.  Use a knife to section out the bars now – might be too hard later.

      Leave overnight in frig covered with wax paper.  Store in ziplocks with wax paper or parchment paper.

      It says makes 20 bars, 51/4 x 2 x ¾ inches, but I got about  30 out of this, a little shorter length.

      Enjoy.

      And thank you to the PCT person who posted this.  Barbara

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 25, 2011
        Thanks, Barbara.  This sounds really good . . . I'll give it a try! YUM!
        Karpani

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 26, 2011
          Could I replace the nut butter with someting non nutty or can I just leave it out ?
          English Stu

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 26, 2011
            You get a good idea of the amount of snow in the sierras from the picture in this article from the Sacramento Bee. Its typical for some cabins in the Soda Springs area to have an A Frame structure from the front door out to the road. They'll plow enough room for a car to park off the road.

            http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/26/3504878/heavy-sierra-snowfall-raises-avalanche.html
          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 26, 2011
              I'm sure something non nutty, as long as it has "binding" properties cos that (and the honey and chocolate) is what forms the "glue" to hold the bar together.

               Barbara

              On Mar 26, 2011, at 4:24 AM, Stuart Dodson <stuartdodson@...> wrote:

              Could I replace the nut butter with someting non nutty or can I just leave it out ?
              English Stu

              Just made my first batch of trail bars! Thanks so much to whoever gave us the recipe! (or was it the PCT forum?). Well anyway, so far so good, even before they've set.

              Barbara

            • Karpani
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 26, 2011
                I wonder if tahini would work to replace the nut butters?

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 26, 2011

                  I made these Quinoa bars a few weeks ago:

                  http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/2010/12/02/quinoa-a-superfood-for-the-trail/

                  Quinoa has either become trendy or mainstream lately but we've been using it for a quite a few years now as a breadk from rice or couscous.  It also is a great substitute for bulgar in tabouleh which can sometimes get gummy.  I think it's one of the only "complete proteins" in plant form.

                  This recipe has you toast the quinoa, which I"ve never done.  It's very tasty (even uncooked at that point) and gives it a nutty flavor like a toasted sesame seed.

                  In this recipe they sort of tout the coconut/orange additions (they said it would give a tropical flair), but I couldn't really detect it, so you might want to crank up the dosage if you want it to come through.  They disappeared quickly nonetheless.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Karpani <karpanilove@...> wrote:

                  > I wonder if tahini would work to replace the nut butters?

                • Barbara Karagosian
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 26, 2011
                    I'm on it!  Since my "trail" bars have nearly all gone already. Homemade are WAY better than store bought cardboard. I'm just wondering how they keep on the trail, whether they get too gooey.

                     Barbara

                    On Mar 26, 2011, at 9:33 PM, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

                    I made these Quinoa bars a few weeks ago:

                    http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/2010/12/02/quinoa-a-superfood-for-the-trail/

                    Quinoa has either become trendy or mainstream lately but we've been using it for a quite a few years now as a breadk from rice or couscous.  It also is a great substitute for bulgar in tabouleh which can sometimes get gummy.  I think it's one of the only "complete proteins" in plant form.

                    This recipe has you toast the quinoa, which I"ve never done.  It's very tasty (even uncooked at that point) and gives it a nutty flavor like a toasted sesame seed.

                    In this recipe they sort of tout the coconut/orange additions (they said it would give a tropical flair), but I couldn't really detect it, so you might want to crank up the dosage if you want it to come through.  They disappeared quickly nonetheless.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Karpani <karpanilove@...> wrote:

                    > I wonder if tahini would work to replace the nut butters?

                  • Wilderness
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 28, 2011
                      Barbara,

                      Please tell me (us) if and how you modified the trail bars recipe and what one should know when making them.... looks like good protein, which I have found really helps at lunch (other times too, of course).
                      John is traveling to the remote parts of The Grand Canyon! Yippee, because I am joining him. We will be hiking the Escalante Route which old-timers say contains some of the greatest diversity and finest scenery of The Canyon. Here's a primer for you GC enthusiasts (from a hike I did last year):

                      http://wildernessvagabond.com/gc-ttt-2010/gc-ttt-2010.htm

                      I've learned a lot as a member of this group - thanks for all the posts. And, thanks to John and Roleigh for serving as moderators.

                      Rob of the WV

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

                      > I'm on it! Since my "trail" bars have nearly all gone already. Homemade are WAY better than store bought cardboard. I'm just wondering how they keep on the trail, whether they get too gooey.
                      >
                      > Barbara
                      >
                      > On Mar 26, 2011, at 9:33 PM, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I made these Quinoa bars a few weeks ago:
                      > >
                      > > http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/2010/12/02/quinoa-a-superfood-for-the-trail/
                      > >
                      > > Quinoa has either become trendy or mainstream lately but we've been using it for a quite a few years now as a breadk from rice or couscous. It also is a great substitute for bulgar in tabouleh which can sometimes get gummy. I think it's one of the only "complete proteins" in plant form.
                      > >
                      > > This recipe has you toast the quinoa, which I"ve never done. It's very tasty (even uncooked at that point) and gives it a nutty flavor like a toasted sesame seed.
                      > >
                      > > In this recipe they sort of tout the coconut/orange additions (they said it would give a tropical flair), but I couldn't really detect it, so you might want to crank up the dosage if you want it to come through. They disappeared quickly nonetheless.
                      > >

                      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Karpani <karpanilove@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I wonder if tahini would work to replace the nut butters?

                    • Barbara Karagosian
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 28, 2011
                        I didn't modify the bar recipe at all. It's awesome. Try it!  No cook. Enjoy- and your trip too, I'm envious, I need to get a GC trip organized....

                         Barbara

                        On Mar 28, 2011, at 10:41 AM, "Wilderness" <wildvagabond@...> wrote:

                        Barbara,

                        Please tell me (us) if and how you modified the trail bars recipe and what one should know when making them.... looks like good protein, which I have found really helps at lunch (other times too, of course).
                        John is traveling to the remote parts of The Grand Canyon! Yippee, because I am joining him. We will be hiking the Escalante Route which old-timers say contains some of the greatest diversity and finest scenery of The Canyon. Here's a primer for you GC enthusiasts (from a hike I did last year):

                        http://wildernessvagabond.com/gc-ttt-2010/gc-ttt-2010.htm

                        I've learned a lot as a member of this group - thanks for all the posts. And, thanks to John and Roleigh for serving as moderators.

                        Rob of the WV
                        http://wildernessvagabond.com

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

                        > I'm on it! Since my "trail" bars have nearly all gone already. Homemade are WAY better than store bought cardboard. I'm just wondering how they keep on the trail, whether they get too gooey.
                        >
                        > Barbara
                        >
                        > On Mar 26, 2011, at 9:33 PM, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I made these Quinoa bars a few weeks ago:
                        > >
                        > > http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/2010/12/02/quinoa-a-superfood-for-the-trail/
                        > >
                        > > Quinoa has either become trendy or mainstream lately but we've been using it for a quite a few years now as a breadk from rice or couscous. It also is a great substitute for bulgar in tabouleh which can sometimes get gummy. I think it's one of the only "complete proteins" in plant form.
                        > >
                        > > This recipe has you toast the quinoa, which I"ve never done. It's very tasty (even uncooked at that point) and gives it a nutty flavor like a toasted sesame seed.
                        > >
                        > > In this recipe they sort of tout the coconut/orange additions (they said it would give a tropical flair), but I couldn't really detect it, so you might want to crank up the dosage if you want it to come through. They disappeared quickly nonetheless.
                        > >

                        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Karpani <karpanilove@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I wonder if tahini would work to replace the nut butters?

                      • Kim Fishburn
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 5, 2011
                        Its snowing.
                      • Kim Fishburn
                        Message 12 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
                          Yosemite has a couple nice snow pictures on their Facebook page including one from Tuolumne Meadows.
                        • Kim Fishburn
                          Message 13 of 18 , Feb 15, 2012
                            Look quick. The snow levels fell to 2000 ft last night in Yosemite. Check the webcams before it melts.

                            http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams
                          • Kim Fishburn
                            Message 14 of 18 , Oct 28, 2013
                              Currently the Tioga Road, Glacier Point Road, Hetch Hetchy Road, and Mariposa Grove Road are all closed due to snow. Yesterday’s high temperature was 71°F; the weather in the Sierra changes quickly.