Timing

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
      I am planning to do the first 3rd of a North-South JMT journey this summer ('07). I will
      skip the valley and will begin out of Tuolomne Meadows. When would be the best time to
      go to avoid excessive crowds and mosquitos? (Not sure which I dislike more but can
      handle either in small doses)

      Thanks in advance.
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
        Without a doubt, my favorite time of year is the end of summer, right
        after Labor Day. There are fewer people, fewer mosquitos and the
        weather is almost always beautiful - clear and stable. Plus, the
        nights are a little colder which makes it nice for sleeping. I did the
        JMT north to south starting on Labor Day and it was spectacular.
        paul
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jvfbender@...> wrote:

        > I am planning to do the first 3rd of a North-South JMT journey this
        summer ('07). I will
        > skip the valley and will begin out of Tuolomne Meadows. When would
        be the best time to
        > go to avoid excessive crowds and mosquitos? (Not sure which I
        dislike more but can
        > handle either in small doses)
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
          Hi Jim,

          For me, the best time is the end of May/early June.
          At that time of the year one can expect to find plenty
          of snow in the higher elevations/passes (trans highly
          scenic), NO mosquitoes, few if any 'tourists (trans
          day/weekend hikers), and the water running fast, fresh
          and cold. Just my 2 cents.

          Thomas

          > I am planning to do the first 3rd of a North-South
          > JMT journey this summer ('07). I will
          > skip the valley and will begin out of Tuolomne
          > Meadows. When would be the best time to
          > go to avoid excessive crowds and mosquitos? (Not
          > sure which I dislike more but can
          > handle either in small doses)
          >
          > Thanks in advance.

          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
        • Pukkmann@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
            In a message dated 1/9/2007 7:56:04 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            tgtaylor7@... writes:

            > I am planning to do the first 3rd of a North-South
            > JMT journey this summer ('07). I will
            > skip the valley and will begin out of Tuolomne
            > Meadows. When would be the best time to
            > go to avoid excessive crowds and mosquitos? (Not
            > sure which I dislike more but can
            > handle either in small doses)
            >
            > Thanks in advance.

            From Aug. 20th on for me...I have done most of it in sections and always
            seem to miss the bugs, high water crossings...as far as crowds, there is plenty
            of time for solitude no matter when you go!