Re: [John Muir Trail] South Lake / Bishop Pass to Mt Whitney

  • Kevin Aston
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi Joel. I am a different Kevin that just joined the group. Lets call me KevinA so we don't get messed up with who said what. My comment was looking to see if anyone else was interested in hiking in July from Reds Meadows to the Portal. We hiked from the Valley to Vermillion (90 miles) and had several 13 mile days. We did OK and 2 of us were 52. I also caught 56 fish, and took 270 pictures along the way. We could have done more miles a day but were there to enjoy it not to complete a marathon. We got slowed down some by rain, and hurried up by mosquitos.

      joel beam <beamjoel@...> wrote: yes it is totally realistic. I am 34 years old and have a bit of higher elevation experience. training at elevation would help. your body stores an elevation memory for approx. 15 days. Try to give yourself a day or two at trailhead elevatoion to atleast walk around at. you should have no more troulbe with the 12000 ft + passes.

      Kevin Thompson <kevbt2@...> wrote: I've read through all 1,300 + posts and noticed high variability on
      miles / day. Some crazy folks (humor intended) did the whole trail in
      under 6 days. Nuts. I would like to do South Lake to Mt Whitney in 7
      days (~100 miles, thus 15 miles/day). Is this realistic given the
      high passes and elevation changes for a fit and experienced 33 year
      old? I've climbed mountains bigger than the Sierras but I had youth
      on my side then. I sit now at sea level (New York) and anticipate
      that being an early challenge. Any thoughts welcome.

      Best Regards,
      Kevin