South Lake / Bishop Pass to Mt Whitney

  • Kevin Thompson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2006
      I've read through all 1,300 + posts and noticed high variability on
      miles / day. Some crazy folks (humor intended) did the whole trail in
      under 6 days. Nuts. I would like to do South Lake to Mt Whitney in 7
      days (~100 miles, thus 15 miles/day). Is this realistic given the
      high passes and elevation changes for a fit and experienced 33 year
      old? I've climbed mountains bigger than the Sierras but I had youth
      on my side then. I sit now at sea level (New York) and anticipate
      that being an early challenge. Any thoughts welcome.

      Best Regards,
      Kevin
    • Raoul Kraus
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2006
        Hi Kevin,

        I just did the JMT this summer (I'm an old guy 51) and I averaged 12-17 miles per day. As I spent more time on the trail it got easier, of course. I traveled N to S. Happy Isles was very tough for me...but after about 4days ish... I could easily do 15 miles/day. It also matters how long (# hrs/day) that you wish to do. Most days I went from about 9am to 5 pm with a 1-2 breaktime spread. So, this will be different for everyone....but I am sure you can do the 15miles/day no prob! Have fun!

        Raoul (aka Muleskinner) Kraus

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2006
          Hi Kevin - I think South Lake to Whitney is very doable in 7 days. I
          did the JMT last summer and we did that stretch in 6 days. Wasn't
          easy, but the incredible beauty of that stretch made it easy to keep up
          the pace. There are a bunch of passes, but you stay pretty darn high.
          And you are a young guy - I was 49 when I did it! So, go for it and
          enjoy yourself.
          paul

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Thompson" <kevbt2@...>
          wrote:

          > I've read through all 1,300 + posts and noticed high variability on
          > miles / day. Some crazy folks (humor intended) did the whole trail
          in
          > under 6 days. Nuts. I would like to do South Lake to Mt Whitney in
          7
          > days (~100 miles, thus 15 miles/day). Is this realistic given the
          > high passes and elevation changes for a fit and experienced 33 year
          > old? I've climbed mountains bigger than the Sierras but I had youth
          > on my side then. I sit now at sea level (New York) and anticipate
          > that being an early challenge. Any thoughts welcome.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Kevin

        • hmdsierra
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2006
            My ten year old son and I did a bit over nine miles a day when we did
            the whole trail. A friend and I did it from South Lake to Whitney in
            a two week trip (15 days). During that time we took four days off and
            some of the other days were short, i.e. south of Forester Pass to
            Wright Ck. and Wright Ck. to Hitchcock Lakes. In addition we start
            late by some people's standards. 15 miles per day is not unreasonable.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Thompson" <kevbt2@...> wrote:

            > I've read through all 1,300 + posts and noticed high variability on
            > miles / day. Some crazy folks (humor intended) did the whole trail in
            > under 6 days. Nuts. I would like to do South Lake to Mt Whitney in 7
            > days (~100 miles, thus 15 miles/day). Is this realistic given the
            > high passes and elevation changes for a fit and experienced 33 year
            > old? I've climbed mountains bigger than the Sierras but I had youth
            > on my side then. I sit now at sea level (New York) and anticipate
            > that being an early challenge. Any thoughts welcome.
            >
            > Best Regards,
            > Kevin

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 21, 2006
              Sure Kevin, 15 miles a day is realistic but the real
              question is whether or not it's realistic for you.
              I'm 59 and can do 17 to 21 miles a day when pushed.
              However 9 to 12 is more realistic or me because I like
              to stop and do photography along the way.

              Starting from Bishop you're going to be starting high
              (12,000 ft) and probably won't feel good for the first
              2 days until you aclimate. You might consider
              aclimating in Bishop buy touring the town and the
              ancient bristlecones on White mountain (>14,000) and
              the 2d or 3d highest peak in California.

              --- Kevin Thompson <kevbt2@...> wrote:

              > I've read through all 1,300 + posts and noticed high
              > variability on
              > miles / day. Some crazy folks (humor intended) did
              > the whole trail in
              > under 6 days. Nuts. I would like to do South Lake
              > to Mt Whitney in 7
              > days (~100 miles, thus 15 miles/day). Is this
              > realistic given the
              > high passes and elevation changes for a fit and
              > experienced 33 year
              > old? I've climbed mountains bigger than the Sierras
              > but I had youth
              > on my side then. I sit now at sea level (New York)
              > and anticipate
              > that being an early challenge. Any thoughts
              > welcome.
              >
              > Best Regards,
              > Kevin

            • joel beam