Re: Weather at Mt Whitney

  • beamjoel
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2006
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...> wrote:

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Strine" <hundyff@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello, I am putting in for overnight permits starting October 15th.
      > > those are the only days they have left. I have done Whitney in the
      > > past, but always in August.
      > > I was curious if anyone knows on the average weather conditions for
      > > mid October. I know anything can happen, and no one can tell for
      sure
      > > what kind of weather is expected. But does anyone have any knowledge
      > > on what it usally expected in mid-october. Most important when does
      > > the snow usally arrive??
      > >
      > > Any information is greatly appreciated.
      > > Thank you
      > > Jay Strine
      >
      > I don't know how much time you have for your trip but if you have some
      > extra days you can go in at Horseshoe and hike to Whitney from the
      > South. The trailhead is Cottonwood Lakes. I got a permit for labor
      > day just last week. It is about a 3 day hike to Guitar Lake and do
      > Whitney from there.
      >
      > You have to pay $15.00 reservation fee because you will enter the
      > Whitney Zone but there is no lottery. It is really a nice way to go.
      >
      > frank

      currently, the days are in the mid 50's at about 10500 ft and nights
      in low 30,s. try checking the California Dept. of Water Resources.
      The snow fall date varries, none yet but that can change. I will be
      taking off out of Cottonwood lakes TH and taking to the Kern River
      bridge Oct 6-9, so I am also hoping for the snow to hold off a while.
      good luck

      Joel Beam