Re: JMT trip report

  • onkelb0b
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, David Armstrong
      <darmstrong99@...> wrote:
      >TRAIL CONDITIONS
      I was amazed at how impeccably maintained the vast majority of the
      trail was.There was however a glaring exception, which was the first
      part of the trail along Palisade Creek up to Mather Pass. There were
      many downed trees to circumnavigate. It looks as though the trail has
      been in this state for awhile. Does anyone know for how long, and why
      this section is in such bad shape when the rest is so good?<

      This is an aggregation of last year's storms and mostly this year's
      April storms. From what I heard, an avalanche came down in May and
      that's when the majority of these trees fell. I through hiked the JMT
      in '04 and it was clear. I hiked this in early August and it wasn't
      that bad, at least to me. Now that crossing of Palisade Creek was a
      different story.
    • Eng-Shien Wu
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
        > I was amazed at how impeccably maintained the vast majority of the
        > trail was.There was however a glaring exception, which was the first
        > part of the trail along Palisade Creek up to Mather Pass. There were
        > many downed trees to circumnavigate. It looks as though the trail has
        > been in this state for awhile. Does anyone know for how long, and why
        > this section is in such bad shape when the rest is so good?<

        As of a week ago, the section of the trail before the Golden Staircase to
        Mather Pass was clear--maybe a tree or two to walk around.

        I found the trip report very helpful for the JMT section I did, especially
        the info on the dry sections of the trail. Thanks David.

        Eng-Shien