Weather at Mt Whitney

  • Jay Strine
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2006
      Hello, I am putting in for overnight permits starting October 15th.
      those are the only days they have left. I have done Whitney in the
      past, but always in August.
      I was curious if anyone knows on the average weather conditions for
      mid October. I know anything can happen, and no one can tell for sure
      what kind of weather is expected. But does anyone have any knowledge
      on what it usally expected in mid-october. Most important when does
      the snow usally arrive??

      Any information is greatly appreciated.
      Thank you
      Jay Strine
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2006
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Strine" <hundyff@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I am putting in for overnight permits starting October 15th.
        > those are the only days they have left. I have done Whitney in the
        > past, but always in August.
        > I was curious if anyone knows on the average weather conditions for
        > mid October. I know anything can happen, and no one can tell for sure
        > what kind of weather is expected. But does anyone have any knowledge
        > on what it usally expected in mid-october. Most important when does
        > the snow usally arrive??
        >
        > Any information is greatly appreciated.
        > Thank you
        > Jay Strine

        I don't know how much time you have for your trip but if you have some
        extra days you can go in at Horseshoe and hike to Whitney from the
        South. The trailhead is Cottonwood Lakes. I got a permit for labor
        day just last week. It is about a 3 day hike to Guitar Lake and do
        Whitney from there.

        You have to pay $15.00 reservation fee because you will enter the
        Whitney Zone but there is no lottery. It is really a nice way to go.

        frank
      • beamjoel
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2006
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...> wrote:

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Strine" <hundyff@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello, I am putting in for overnight permits starting October 15th.
          > > those are the only days they have left. I have done Whitney in the
          > > past, but always in August.
          > > I was curious if anyone knows on the average weather conditions for
          > > mid October. I know anything can happen, and no one can tell for
          sure
          > > what kind of weather is expected. But does anyone have any knowledge
          > > on what it usally expected in mid-october. Most important when does
          > > the snow usally arrive??
          > >
          > > Any information is greatly appreciated.
          > > Thank you
          > > Jay Strine
          >
          > I don't know how much time you have for your trip but if you have some
          > extra days you can go in at Horseshoe and hike to Whitney from the
          > South. The trailhead is Cottonwood Lakes. I got a permit for labor
          > day just last week. It is about a 3 day hike to Guitar Lake and do
          > Whitney from there.
          >
          > You have to pay $15.00 reservation fee because you will enter the
          > Whitney Zone but there is no lottery. It is really a nice way to go.
          >
          > frank

          currently, the days are in the mid 50's at about 10500 ft and nights
          in low 30,s. try checking the California Dept. of Water Resources.
          The snow fall date varries, none yet but that can change. I will be
          taking off out of Cottonwood lakes TH and taking to the Kern River
          bridge Oct 6-9, so I am also hoping for the snow to hold off a while.
          good luck

          Joel Beam