Fire at Yosimite NP

  • Jay Strine
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2006
      Anyone have any information on the fire currently burning in Yosemite
      NP. It started 08/22 it is burning 2 miles NW of El Capitan. All
      trails in the area are closed.
      As of today the fire has burned 489 acres and is 45% contained. I
      have not seen any information on the news. I am a firefighter in Los
      Angeles County, and I read about it on our Department email.
      Does anyone know if it is near the JMT??

      Thank you
      Jay Strine
    • Marybeth
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2006
        I was checking out the NPS website yesterday about this, as I start my
        trip on Sunday. Didn't appear to be near the trail, and the website
        does list the affected trails. The JMT was not listed, but some of the
        Yosemite Falls trails were. It is a new fire -- started I think 8/21.
        The NPS website does have a fire link which might have more updated
        information.

        MB

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Strine" <hundyff@...> wrote:

        > Anyone have any information on the fire currently burning in Yosemite
        > NP. It started 08/22 it is burning 2 miles NW of El Capitan. All
        > trails in the area are closed.
        > As of today the fire has burned 489 acres and is 45% contained. I
        > have not seen any information on the news. I am a firefighter in Los
        > Angeles County, and I read about it on our Department email.
        > Does anyone know if it is near the JMT??
        >
        > Thank you
        > Jay Strine

      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24, 2006
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Marybeth" <mbdingledy@...> wrote:

          > I was checking out the NPS website yesterday about this, as I start my
          > trip on Sunday. Didn't appear to be near the trail, and the website
          > does list the affected trails. The JMT was not listed, but some of the
          > Yosemite Falls trails were. It is a new fire -- started I think 8/21.
          > The NPS website does have a fire link which might have more updated
          > information.
          >
          > MB

          El Cap area is above Yosemite Falls near Eagle Peak.

          I'll be heading for Horeshoe Meadow (south of Whitney Portal) on Sept
          1. A group of us are going to peak Cirque and Langley and then I will
          hike out 'NoBo' to Tuolumne Meadows.

          I'll have a real small blue Golite Pack and will be solo. Say 'hi' if
          you see me marybeth.

          have a great hike,

          frank
        • Marybeth
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 24, 2006
            I'll have a bigger pack -- orange Gregory. I'll likely be solo,
            thought part of the way I'll be with my mom's cousin. I'm sure we
            will pass each other, as I am heading the opposite direction. Have a
            great, safe trip.