Re: [John Muir Trail] John Muir Trail Itinerary

  • Ben Last
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2011
    Re: [John Muir Trail] John Muir Trail Itinerary Sonya,
    Here is the itinerary I made up for my 2010 trip, this was my first real long distance hike.  I ended up not following the itinerary very well because there was heavy snow, and my son ended up getting a fever the 2nd night out.  We took 3 days off at TM then restarted with my sister and her 4 children(slow hiking).  I ended up exiting at Bishop Pass then did a one night trip over Kearsarge Pass to the lake on the other side of the trail (can’t remember name).
    I had planned 2 1/2 days to get to Toulumne meadows.  A better plan would be to plan for 3 days.  It is a tough hike out of Yosemite village to Cathedral lake then an easy down hill to TM.  Toward the middle of my hike I was able to go 15 miles without too much trouble.  I ended up hiking solo the last 10 days of my hike, it got to be too much for my 13 year old son.  The camping sites I got off of  Elizabeth Wenk’s book
    John Muir Trail: The essential guide to hiking America's most famous trail”  A must have for planning.
    After this trip I truly believe that you have to just use an itinerary very tentatively, and be willing to adjust as needed.
    I plan on finishing my trip from Bishop Pass to Whitney.  I do plan on hiking out over Kearsarge Pass for a resupply and day off.  Kearsarge pass is a pretty easy place to exit and resupply.
    Hope this helps.
    Ben

    On 3/16/11 11:29 AM, "Sonya" <sonya.dickinson@...> wrote:

    Hello all,

    I am planning our 2011 JMT hike - we're looking to do it in approximately 21 days.  For those of you who have already hiked the trail with the same number of days (or approximately), I was wondering if you would be kind enough to share your itinerary?  That would be very helpful!

    Thank you in advance,

    Sonya D.

    --
    Ben Last

    Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16, 2011
      With Ben's permission, I put Ben's trip plan in a new sub-folder for trip plans.  I also moved some several other trip plans into that folder.  Feel free to upload yours to that folder, or send them to me off-board and I will do so.

      Trip plans that include copyrighted material (e.g., campsite descriptions) from Wilderness Press should go in a separate folder, where we will comply with WP's requirements for proper attribution.

      Mile points and GPS co-ordinates are facts and are not subject to copyright.  Descriptive material taken from guidebooks are probably protected by copyright.

      On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Ben Last <benlast@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Ben Last included below]

[...]

    • Sonya
      Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2011
        Thank you all so much for your help, I truly appreciate it! I hiked the Wonderland Trail last year (if you haven't done it, I highly recommend!) and this will be my second long through hike. I am very excited about this hike and I know it will be simply spectacular.

        Thanks again :)

        Sonya

        > With Ben's permission, I put Ben's trip plan in a new sub-folder for trip
        > plans. I also moved some several other trip plans into that folder. Feel
        > free to upload yours to that folder, or send them to me off-board and I will
        > do so.

        > Trip plans that include copyrighted material (e.g., campsite descriptions)
        > from Wilderness Press should go in a separate folder, where we will comply
        > with WP's requirements for proper attribution.

        > Mile points and GPS co-ordinates are facts and are not subject to
        > copyright. Descriptive material taken from guidebooks are probably
        > protected by copyright.
        >
        > John Curran Ladd
        > 1616 Castro Street
        > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        > 415-648-9279
        >

        > On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Ben Last <benlast@...> wrote:
        >

        > > [Attachment(s) <#12ec02218c9a100a_TopText> from Ben Last included below]
        > >
        > > Sonya,
        > > Here is the itinerary I made up for my 2010 trip, this was my first real
        > > long distance hike. I ended up not following the itinerary very well
        > > because there was heavy snow, and my son ended up getting a fever the 2nd
        > > night out. We took 3 days off at TM then restarted with my sister and her 4
        > > children(slow hiking). I ended up exiting at Bishop Pass then did a one
        > > night trip over Kearsarge Pass to the lake on the other side of the trail
        > > (can't remember name).
        > > I had planned 2 1/2 days to get to Toulumne meadows. A better plan would
        > > be to plan for 3 days. It is a tough hike out of Yosemite village to
        > > Cathedral lake then an easy down hill to TM. Toward the middle of my hike I
        > > was able to go 15 miles without too much trouble. I ended up hiking solo
        > > the last 10 days of my hike, it got to be too much for my 13 year old son.
        > > The camping sites I got off of Elizabeth Wenk's book "*John Muir Trail:
        > > The essential guide to hiking America's most famous trail*" A must have
        > > for planning.
        > > After this trip I truly believe that you have to just use an itinerary very
        > > tentatively, and be willing to adjust as needed.
        > > I plan on finishing my trip from Bishop Pass to Whitney. I do plan on
        > > hiking out over Kearsarge Pass for a resupply and day off. Kearsarge pass
        > > is a pretty easy place to exit and resupply.
        > > Hope this helps.
        > > Ben
        > >

        > > On 3/16/11 11:29 AM, "Sonya" <sonya.dickinson@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Hello all,
        > >
        > > I am planning our 2011 JMT hike - we're looking to do it in approximately
        > > 21 days. For those of you who have already hiked the trail with the same
        > > number of days (or approximately), I was wondering if you would be kind
        > > enough to share your itinerary? That would be very helpful!
        > >
        > > Thank you in advance,
        > >
        > > Sonya D.
        > >

        > > --
        > > Ben Last

      • Jim W
        Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2011
          On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Sonya <sonya.dickinson@...> wrote:
          21 days... I was wondering if you would be kind enough to share your itinerary? That would be very helpful!

          Sonya,

          I did it in 15, but have considered pacing a lot since that trip.   It's taken me 30 years of backpacking in the Sierra to come to some very simple conclusions.

          1. It gets easier after a week or two of acclimation to the altitude.
          2. It gets easier after about 4 nights sleeping on the ground.
          3. It is easier with a lighter pack;  your pack gets lighter as you eat food.
          4. It gets easier as you get in better shape on the hike.

          Those should all warrant a big "DUH" but I spent most of my backpacking career trying to plan days that were fairly equal in distance and climbing.

          I now figure that the first day ought to be about half the last day's mileage/difficulty.  On the Muir trail I hiked 8 miles the first day and was exhausted.  Day 12 I hiked 24 miles over Glen and Forester passes and was exhausted... but no more than that first day.

          The lack of resupply options south of Muir Trail Ranch affect the following suggestion- I say build slowly on the North half then do the South half without resupply.  The practical limit for carrying food in a bear can is about 8 days (6 dinners, 7 breakfasts & lunches in the can).  Any rest days would up the mileage on hiking days, but you get to rest up so the next hiking day ought to go easy- right?

          If I were planning a 21 day itinerary it would be:
          3 days Happy Isles to Tuolumne 24 mi=8/day
          4 days Tuolumne to Reds 33 mi = 8/day
          5 days Reds to Muir Trail Ranch 50 mi = 10/day
          8 days Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal  116 mi = 13/day

          My plan for this year is 14 days total, including about 3-4 rest days.

          Jim
        • will cef
          Message 5 of 9 , Mar 17, 2011
            Jim...this will also be my first JMT...I like your logic as outlined below..
            THANKS
            Will

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            Message 6 of 9 , Apr 10, 2011
              Hi Jim,
              Would you mind sharing your itinerary for a 15 or 14 day trip? We're starting at Happy Isles.
              Thank you,
              Suzanne