September?

  • Marybeth
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2006
      Anyone hiking in September? I will be on the trail from August 26 -
      September 27. I am starting in Yosemite and heading south. Most of
      the time, I will be solo.
    • onkelb0b
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2006
        I'd be out there too, BUT I'm in NYC the week before (15-22 Sep) and I
        am required to teach that week (22-25). So I won't start until 1 Oct
        at earliest. I'm not doing the whole JMT, but likely going to do the
        extended Roads End loop. (Kings Canyon - over Glen and Forester
        Passes to come out Avalanche Pass.)

        Regardless, I want to advise you that during my previous trips around
        that time you should be aware, in the Sierra, August is often followed
        by November! I was at VVR the weekend after Labor Day and it snowed
        on Bear Ridge. My approach to Glen Pass was similarly white. Weather
        can be really hit and miss that time of year so be prepared for
        everything.

        You may want to post the same question on the Sequoia Kings Canyon
        group as that has more activity. Your toughest sections are in those
        parks and that group is very active. That group is at:

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Marybeth" <mbdingledy@...> wrote:

        > Anyone hiking in September? I will be on the trail from August 26 -
        > September 27. I am starting in Yosemite and heading south. Most of
        > the time, I will be solo.

      • onkelb0b
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2006
          I understand it's not protocol to respond to one's own post but I put
          this up here as a "public service."
          I'm starting to update my blog after a year of neglect. I intend to
          post a daily terrain map (vertical exaggeration with horizontal
          perspective) over the next week. As a graduate student in Geography
          and Art History, it's something I can do... (Now if I can just finish
          that thesis work :^)

          http://onclebob.blogspot.com/2006/08/campsites-on-jmt.html