Shelter suggestions?

  • bondcliff48
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17, 2006
      I'm curious to know what kind of shelter people might recommend. I
      want to go as light as possible and was thinking about a tarp or
      poncho tarp setup. I expect the trip to be dry but need to be
      prepared for wet weather. I'm also concerned about the bugs with only
      a tarp setup. Hoping most of the biting bugs will be gone by the end
      of Aug.

      I'll be doing the JMT starting on Aug 22 and finishing on Sept 7 if
      all goes well.

      I would appreciate any thoughts on shelters.

      Thanks.
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17, 2006
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bondcliff48" <sam.clint@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm curious to know what kind of shelter people might recommend. I
        > want to go as light as possible and was thinking about a tarp or
        > poncho tarp setup. I expect the trip to be dry but need to be
        > prepared for wet weather. I'm also concerned about the bugs with
        only
        > a tarp setup. Hoping most of the biting bugs will be gone by the end
        > of Aug.
        >
        > I'll be doing the JMT starting on Aug 22 and finishing on Sept 7 if
        > all goes well.
        >
        > I would appreciate any thoughts on shelters.
        >
        > Thanks.

        I've used a ponchtarp the past two years. In 2005 I never even set it
        up I just bivouac out. In 2004 it got a lot of use.

        It is edgy. As long as you are camping below treeline it is marginally
        sufficient. The Equinox backpacker long has advantages over the
        Integral Designs only becase it is bigger (longer). The Integral
        Designs is a better construction and the hood is easier to close.

        I know a lot of people who have used this setup. As I got more
        experienced I started sleeping up on passes above treeline. When you
        have wind that is changing direction with rain this setup gets a bit
        edgy. But still I will use it again this year. You may want to
        combine this with an Equinox or Oware Sil-Nylon Bivy that will keep any
        moisture off your bag. They weight in at under 10oz. If you have the
        big $$ the Nano-Bivy from Bozeman Mountain Works weighs about 3oz.

        The newer gear for this year is the Gatewood Cape from Six Moon Designs.
        It is a poncho based on the Lunar Solo Tent that has a bit more to it.

        If you camp away from water on a ridge with a breeze skeeters problems
        are less. Also when the temp starts to drop they are less active. Buy
        a cheap headnet.

        The main thing is practice setting up the poncho tarp. Practice in the
        dark. It very rarely rains at night in the Sierra but you don't want
        to be caught in the exception.

        best of Luck

      • Jim Martin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2006
          My buddy and I did the trail starting on August 24,
          2003 and bugs were really no problem. However since
          this has been another wetter winter, you may have
          more. Here is a link to our photos. We packed too
          much camera gear!!!

          http://www.catchafallingstar.com/jmt/johnmuirtrail2003.htm

          --- bondcliff48 <sam.clint@...> wrote:

          > I'm curious to know what kind of shelter people
          > might recommend. I
          > want to go as light as possible and was thinking
          > about a tarp or
          > poncho tarp setup. I expect the trip to be dry but
          > need to be
          > prepared for wet weather. I'm also concerned about
          > the bugs with only
          > a tarp setup. Hoping most of the biting bugs will
          > be gone by the end
          > of Aug.
          >
          > I'll be doing the JMT starting on Aug 22 and
          > finishing on Sept 7 if
          > all goes well.
          >
          > I would appreciate any thoughts on shelters.
          >
          > Thanks.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ralph Alcorn
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
            We used a Golite tarp for several years on the JMT with no problems.
            You have to be a little carefull with siting in case of rain, and we
            carry a piece of mosquito netting yardage to drape over our heads if
            needed. Now we use a Henry Shires Tarptent with netting, mainly
            because we are hiking in areas with rattlesnakes and scorpions,
            neither of which my wife likes.

            --
            Ralph Alcorn
            http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
              I brought a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo shelter last summer on my
              JMT. I have the older model without the bathtub floor, but it worked
              well for me in rain, wind, and bugs. I just purchased the Gatewood
              Cape from SMD but haven't used it in the field yet, though it would
              be my preference now given the savings in weight over the Lunar Solo
              + rain gear.

              I have used standard poncho tarps in the past with some success. The
              difficulty arises when it is raining in the evening when you set it
              up or in the morning when you want to get going. Staying dry takes
              some effort. There was a good discussion of the technique for doing
              so in an article by Ryan Jordan on the BPL website. I would
              definitely use a bivy sack unless your sleeping bag has a water
              resistant finish.

              With your starting date you will likely have very few bugs
              depending, of course, on where you camp. On my ten-day JMT last
              summer, I had one night of significant rain and one night with a few
              sprinkles.

              Have a great trip.

              wrote:

              > I'm curious to know what kind of shelter people might recommend.
              > want to go as light as possible and was thinking about a tarp or
              > poncho tarp setup. I expect the trip to be dry but need to be
              > prepared for wet weather. I'm also concerned about the bugs with
              only
              > a tarp setup. Hoping most of the biting bugs will be gone by the
              end
              > of Aug.
              >
              > I'll be doing the JMT starting on Aug 22 and finishing on Sept 7
              if
              > all goes well.
              >
              > I would appreciate any thoughts on shelters.
              >
              > Thanks.

            • Reuben Gerber

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 19, 2006
                  Last night I looked at the site you posted on your JMT trip. I read
                  all the narrative and looked at all the photograph, I take pictures.
                  It was an enjoyable hike down memory lane.

                  In August of 1982 my then 10 year old son and I thru hiked the trail
                  over 25 days, including 2 rest days. A friend started with us but had
                  to drop out at Red's Meadow due to knee problems, and the whole trip
                  was his idea. You mentioned that it seemed a shame to go past so many
                  nice places but the totality of the trip makes up for it. My sons and
                  I spent several trips revisiting some of those special places for a
                  closer look and more fishing. It was a plesant time last night going
                  back to all those places. I particularly like Evolution Valley and
                  the overlook from the outlet of Evolution Lake. In 1968 I took a
                  picture that captured the view below and the hole in the seat of my
                  wife's pants. On our '82 trip we had fairly good weather. It rained
                  at Red Cones and off and on the next day but cleared up by evening and
                  Duck Ck. The next rain was at the lakes south of Forester Pass. the
                  next day we intended to get to Crabtree Mdw but another rain stopped
                  us at Wright Ck. It took so long to get a fire going there we decided
                  to stay. The next day we were at Guitar Lk. and could not see Whitney
                  for the low clouds. It rained hard soon after we arrived but stopped
                  after a couple of hours. We had a nice tarp over us using the rain
                  fly from my friend's tent. However, there was enough water in the
                  ground that by midnight our bags were saturated. We put them on rock
                  so the escess water could drain out and snuggled up in the rain fly
                  for the rest of the night. At first dim light we started out and
                  found a cloudless day to end our trip.

                  My friend and I finished the trail for him with three week long hikes
                  and finished from South Lk. to Whitney with a two week trip. As
                  hurried as the trip seemed I'd do it again. thanks for the memories.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jim Martin <anasazipottery@...>