Re: Food for long distance hikes

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2006
      Three of us started JMT in '82. My then 10 year old son and I
      finished but my friend had to drop out due to a knee problem. We took
      a weeks worth of food from Yosemite Valley and had enough left at
      Red's Meadow to finish the trail without furtherr resupply. I had
      each meal packaged in ziplocks for three serving. When my friend left
      there we took enough to last the two weeks until we got to Vidette
      Mdw. My friend planned on rejoining us there or at least bring in
      enough food for us. He resupplied us but his knee was still hurting
      so he did not continue with us. He and his wife met us there Friday
      evening and left Saturday morning. He pick the two of us up at
      Whitney Portal the following Wednesday. We were almost out of food
      but had enought snack stuff and a couple of meals so we figured if he
      didn't show up we would try for fish and hurry our exit. We WERE
      going to finish. He brought us more than enough food tho.

      I make all of my meals using only a very very small amount of freeze
      dried food. These days I don't even use the freeze dried food. I
      make many meals right off the grocery store shelf. There are lots of
      Rice and Sauce or Noodles and Sauce meals that work well. Many times
      there are recipes on the boxes. I used one of those recipes for
      Chicken Almondine, adding a small can of chicken and some almonds. I
      dry lots of vegetables and fruit. A can of SPAM or Corned Beef is
      really good. You can eat up the heavy stuff first. My meals range
      from Chili Rice with refried beans and cornbread to Oatmeal or
      Granola. Pancakes are one breakfast option. I almost always have
      bread with every meal. Bisquick works but I usually make biscuit mix
      at home. Some may be white, some may be whole wheat, oatmeal some are
      for coffee cake with cinnamon dried fruit and nuts. Inatant pudding is
      a good and easy dessert.

      There are backpacking cook books available with many good ideas. '82
      was the first time I prepackaged the meals with cooking instructions
      (how much water) and wonder why I had never done it before. I have to
      take a few pans and take some time to cook but I always eat well. A
      few years ago I stayed a few days with a couple of guys I met on the
      trail. They were strictly freeze dried and carried only a small
      coffee pot to boil water in and make coffee. When I offered a
      Pop-Tart and a slice of fried SPAM they jumped on it. They said my
      red Beans and Rice looked good while at the same time I thought their
      Chicken Teriyaki looked good. Feel free to ask me more .