Food for long distance hikes

  • Jay Strine
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2006
      We are planning to attempt the JMT next year. I was wondering what
      kind of food do you pack for such a hike? We would like to pack
      lightweight, but on the same note we want to carry as much as we can
      to limit our stops. I know we will have to resupply enroute, we are
      just trying to limit our stops. Any information on what type/kind of
      food would be appreciated. I guess we are looking for food that is
      small, lightweight, yet provides your body what it needs to make the
      JMT.
      Thank you
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2006
        Three of us started JMT in '82. My then 10 year old son and I
        finished but my friend had to drop out due to a knee problem. We took
        a weeks worth of food from Yosemite Valley and had enough left at
        Red's Meadow to finish the trail without furtherr resupply. I had
        each meal packaged in ziplocks for three serving. When my friend left
        there we took enough to last the two weeks until we got to Vidette
        Mdw. My friend planned on rejoining us there or at least bring in
        enough food for us. He resupplied us but his knee was still hurting
        so he did not continue with us. He and his wife met us there Friday
        evening and left Saturday morning. He pick the two of us up at
        Whitney Portal the following Wednesday. We were almost out of food
        but had enought snack stuff and a couple of meals so we figured if he
        didn't show up we would try for fish and hurry our exit. We WERE
        going to finish. He brought us more than enough food tho.

        I make all of my meals using only a very very small amount of freeze
        dried food. These days I don't even use the freeze dried food. I
        make many meals right off the grocery store shelf. There are lots of
        Rice and Sauce or Noodles and Sauce meals that work well. Many times
        there are recipes on the boxes. I used one of those recipes for
        Chicken Almondine, adding a small can of chicken and some almonds. I
        dry lots of vegetables and fruit. A can of SPAM or Corned Beef is
        really good. You can eat up the heavy stuff first. My meals range
        from Chili Rice with refried beans and cornbread to Oatmeal or
        Granola. Pancakes are one breakfast option. I almost always have
        bread with every meal. Bisquick works but I usually make biscuit mix
        at home. Some may be white, some may be whole wheat, oatmeal some are
        for coffee cake with cinnamon dried fruit and nuts. Inatant pudding is
        a good and easy dessert.

        There are backpacking cook books available with many good ideas. '82
        was the first time I prepackaged the meals with cooking instructions
        (how much water) and wonder why I had never done it before. I have to
        take a few pans and take some time to cook but I always eat well. A
        few years ago I stayed a few days with a couple of guys I met on the
        trail. They were strictly freeze dried and carried only a small
        coffee pot to boil water in and make coffee. When I offered a
        Pop-Tart and a slice of fried SPAM they jumped on it. They said my
        red Beans and Rice looked good while at the same time I thought their
        Chicken Teriyaki looked good. Feel free to ask me more .