Shipping Alchohol (Heet) UPS or US Mail

  • Steve Schroeder
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2006
      I'm getting ready to send off my re-supply bucket for the JMT. Does
      anyone know what the deal is on shipping alchohol. Can I do it? I was
      planning on using a MSR type metal fuel bottle. I can't seem to get a
      straight answer from UPS. I haven't asked the post office yet. Thanks.
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2006
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Schroeder"
        <sschroe111@...> wrote:

        > I'm getting ready to send off my re-supply bucket for the JMT. Does
        > anyone know what the deal is on shipping alchohol. Can I do it? I was
        > planning on using a MSR type metal fuel bottle. I can't seem to get a
        > straight answer from UPS. I haven't asked the post office yet. Thanks.

        Try this link.

        http://www.gottawalk.com/

        click "Hike Planning"

        then click "Mailing Fuel"

        then scroll down to Alcohol

        simplified quote from Gottawalk

        What this means to us:

        Primary Receptacle
        We can ship alcohol in a metal primary receptacle not to exceed 1
        quart. A nonmetal primary receptacle must not exceed 1 pint. The
        primary receptacle must have a screw cap (with a minimum of
        one-and-one-half turns), soldering clips, or other means of secure
        closure (friction tops are not acceptable). Only one primary
        receptacle is permitted per mail piece.

        Cushioning Material and Secondary Packaging
        Enough cushioning material must surround the primary receptacle to
        prevent breakage and absorb any potential leakage. The cushioning and
        primary receptacle must be packed in a securely sealed secondary
        packaging.

        Outer Packaging
        A strong outer packaging that is capable of firmly and securely
        holding the primary receptacle, cushioning material, and secondary
        packaging is required.

        Marking
        Each mailpiece must be clearly marked on the address side with
        "Surface Mail Only", "Consumer Commodity ORM-D", and the flashpoint of
        the flammable liquid (which is 13C/55F for denatured alcohol)