food

  • outhiking_55
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 7, 2011
      What was the link to the place that sells individual food packets of things like peanut butter etc?

      Kim
    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 7, 2011
        On 3/7/2011 3:21 PM, outhiking_55 wrote:
        > What was the link to the place that sells individual food packets of things like peanut butter etc?
        >
        > Kim
        http://www.minimus.biz/
      • Kim Fishburn
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 30, 2012
          I couldn't decide if I should post this to the Sidebar or here, but since there has been plenty of discussion in the past on making granola bars I decided to post it here. This is from my favorite cooking site and has tons of pictures on how to make something.

          Kim

          http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/09/granola-bars/

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 30, 2012
            Awesome. Thank you. I totally need to redo my hiking menu.

            On Sep 30, 2012, at 6:20 PM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

            I couldn't decide if I should post this to the Sidebar or here, but since there has been plenty of discussion in the past on making granola bars I decided to post it here. This is from my favorite cooking site and has tons of pictures on how to make something.

            Kim

            http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/09/granola-bars/

          • es
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26, 2014

              There has been lots of conversation around the topic of food.  I was reading a discussion on BPL site about Nido.   I assumed that Nido sent in resupply buckets will be ok.  I have never sent a resupply bucket 3 weeks out.  Can the members in this group reassure me that the nido will be ok?   This is my first thru hike so I am having anxiety around the resupply items. Especially with  babybel cheese, tortillas, and now nido!  I guess because this is my first time I want to get it right.  Part of me thinks that I need to stop second guessing myself.   I think this is a normal response three weeks before I start my hike.

              Thanks

              Eric

            • straw_marmot
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 26, 2014
                If powdered milk is kept completely dry, then it will last at least several months.   Ideally, leave it in the original packaging, unopened.  That's not always convenient with Nido or Peak in the large tins;  Backpackers Pantry do 4oz foil sachets of full-fat powedered milk, although I think Nido and Peak are superior products - they seem to dissolve more easily and taste better to me.

                Even if you've repackaged into ziplocs, you should not have any problem, the humidity in the Sierras is usually low.  Double bag to be safe;  you can also put a small silica gel dessicant packet (available on Amazon) in the ziploc with it.

                I would not risk pre-mixing powdered milk into anything that might contain moisture.
              • straw_marmot
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 26, 2014
                  In fact, since we're talking about a resupply bucket here, not a backpack --- if you need to open the original packaging because it's a large tin, then don't use ziplocs -- put it into one of those semi-disposable plastic food storage pots you can get at the supermarket, the kind with the screw top, not the push-on.   That'll keep any moisture out more completely.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 26, 2014
                    If you are local. or passing through San Francisco, Rainbow Coop Grocery's great bulk food collection has whole dry milk in bins so you can decide how much you want to buy. They were out of it earlier this week, however.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 26, 2014
                      I'd be nervous about the BabyBell as the buckets can get hot and moist inside. I'd substitute a dry, hard cheese like a Peccorino Romano, Parmigiana Reggiano or of a hard Monterrey Jack. As others have said, tortillas and Nido should be fine.

                      On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM, es hikeinyo@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      There has been lots of conversation around the topic of food.  I was reading a discussion on BPL site about Nido.   I assumed that Nido sent in resupply buckets will be ok.  I have never sent a resupply bucket 3 weeks out.  Can the members in this group reassure me that the nido will be ok?   This is my first thru hike so I am having anxiety around the resupply items. Especially with  babybel cheese, tortillas, and now nido!  I guess because this is my first time I want to get it right.  Part of me thinks that I need to stop second guessing myself.   I think this is a normal response three weeks before I start my hike.

                      Thanks

                      Eric

                    • Joe MacLeish

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 26, 2014
                            John,
                            The reason I went with babybel is because they were recommended by Roleigh Martin and they are easy to pack in the bear canister
                            Thanks
                            Eric

                            On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM, John Ladd johnladd@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                          • ravi_jmt2013
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 26, 2014
                              I've premixed Nido into oatmeal and a few dinners. Didn't have any issues with spoilage on the JMT.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 26, 2014
                                  I've used Nido for years and have never had a problem. I've added the appropriate amount to instant pudding powder in a quart ziplock. I also did the same with Granola for breakfast cereal. I added it to recipes that called for milk as well. I prepared these packets in February and had them sent to me as late as August.

                                  They always were fine when I received them. Three weeks will be fine.
                                • es
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 26, 2014
                                    thanks
                                    eric