Re: Permit Question

  • kalbergotti
    Message 1 of 65 , Jul 4, 2006
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kalbergotti" <kalbergotti@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello All,
      > > We have planned a trip from Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney Portal
      for mid
      > > July. We missed getting a permit in advance for this trip. Can
      > > someone who has been through this please clarify the walk up
      process
      > > for obtaining permits from Tuolumne? What time do the permit
      begin to
      > > be issued and from where specifically. Also are there any issues
      with
      > > parking at the trailhead?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Ken Albergotti
      >

      > This link should pretty much answer most of your questions.
      >
      > http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/permits.htm
      >
      > I think they start issusing walk in permits for the following day
      > about 11 AM or noon. Get a thru-hiker permit and that will take you
      > all the way to Whitney and the portal. No other permit is
      necessary.

      > Once you obtain the permit you then can camp at the backpacker's
      > campground (walk-in) at TM.
      >
      > At TM there is a backpackers parking lot. It is about 1/2 mile from
      > the Wilderness permit station. I would just leave an itenerary
      inside
      > the windshield of your car.

      Thanks for the info! Does anyone know how many permits are available
      for walk up?
      Thanks,
      Ken
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 65 of 65 , Aug 23, 2014
        I don't think that Yosemite can give out Sierra NF permits. Different agencies.
        I don't know if they ask for everyone's names and IDs. Just the trip leader/permit holder when you pick it up I think.

        On Aug 23, 2014, at 8:53 AM, "alyssarainbolt@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        My friend is meeting me at Muir Trail Ranch, but will be in the Valley with me when I'm starting the trail. Can she just pick up her permit with me, and skip getting her permit from Sierra National Forest?

        I know she wouldn't have a problem getting her permit when she's starting. Here is the reason I'm asking: I have another friend meeting me at Tuolumne and hiking until Red's Meadow. I'm trying to gauge how bad it would be if Amanda and I got a permit in the Valley, Amanda left and went home, I started hiking and met Sarah in Tuolumne and she hiked using Amanda's name. Then, when Amanda meets me at MTR, we're good to go.

        Is that bad?? Will I get in trouble if I start hiking with just one person on a two person permit? Will Sarah get away with using that permit instead of waiting an entire day at Tuolumne? She doesn't have time to come up the day before we start hiking. Would love any insight!! Thanks!