Re: [John Muir Trail] Water Sources on Mt. Whitney?

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
      depends on which way you're headed Chris. Suggest
      that you take a look on the topo's online by searching
      Mount Whitney on www.topozone.com

      I haven't been up there this year yet, but there
      should be plenty of snow on Whitney at this time so
      you shouldn't have any problem.

      --- chrisjoseph2002 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Curious where the last reliable water source is on
      > the main trail to
      > Mount Whitney. Any help would be appreciated.
      > Thanks.

      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • John Randall
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        It's not on the map but at approximately switchback #40 above Trail
        Camp there's a gusher of the purest water I've ever tasted; right out
        of the mountain. I've come down the portal trail from the westside 7
        times over the last 20 years and it's been there every time; not just a
        trickle, but a fountain. There is no water source above it until the
        tarns at 12,000 feet on the other side. You might query either one of
        the Dougs at www.whitneyportalstore.com. They're the ones who own/run
        the store at the foot of the Whitney Portal Trail.

        john randall