Water Sources on Mt. Whitney?

  • chrisjoseph2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 6:36 PM
      Curious where the last reliable water source is on the main trail to
      Mount Whitney. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 11:51 AM
        depends on which way you're headed Chris. Suggest
        that you take a look on the topo's online by searching
        Mount Whitney on www.topozone.com

        I haven't been up there this year yet, but there
        should be plenty of snow on Whitney at this time so
        you shouldn't have any problem.

        --- chrisjoseph2002 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > Curious where the last reliable water source is on
        > the main trail to
        > Mount Whitney. Any help would be appreciated.
        > Thanks.

        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • dive_hike
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 11:54 AM
          The last year-round water source (about 11,600' or so) is just below
          Trail Camp (12,000') about 6 miles from Whitney Portal. There is a
          little meadow with a reliable stream just next to the trail.

          Have fun!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, chrisjoseph2002 <no_reply@...>
          wrote:

          > Curious where the last reliable water source is on the main trail to
          > Mount Whitney. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

        • John Randall
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3 5:11 AM
            It's not on the map but at approximately switchback #40 above Trail
            Camp there's a gusher of the purest water I've ever tasted; right out
            of the mountain. I've come down the portal trail from the westside 7
            times over the last 20 years and it's been there every time; not just a
            trickle, but a fountain. There is no water source above it until the
            tarns at 12,000 feet on the other side. You might query either one of
            the Dougs at www.whitneyportalstore.com. They're the ones who own/run
            the store at the foot of the Whitney Portal Trail.

            john randall