[John Muir Trail] Re: Bears

  • Randy
    Message 1 of 75 , Mar 5, 2011
      Thanks John. I was already set to "fully featured". I am at the website, not my email... I tried IE and Firefox and neither show the pics. I also tried changing the browser settings thinking that may have been it... nope. sigh... thanks anyway!

      > >On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Randy <genreviam@...> wrote:
      > > I never see any of the photos folks post in their threads...
      > > Anyone have any advice on how to get them to display? A Yahoo setting
      > perhaps???
      >
      > Try going to the site
      >
      > groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail
      >
      > Click on "edit membership" (near the top)
      >
      > See if your settings are "fully featured" vs "traditional" at "Step 3"
      >
      > I think you may need to get individual e-mails rather than "daily digests"
      > or "web only" if you want to see the pictures. Yahoo! is so weird.
      >
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      > 415-648-9279
      >

      > I want to see the bears!!!!! :(
      > >
      > > Randy

    • bill cathey
      Message 75 of 75 , Jul 25, 2014
        I don't know how high the density of bears is in SNP, but, living in the area myself and having hiked there many times, I was disappointed for several years at not having encountered any there. I finally had my first sighting last year, followed by another one 5 minutes later, then a mother and cub shortly after that. So, I saw 4 bears just in the one hike, all within about 20 minutes. That was really exciting.

        bill

        On Jul 25, 2014, at 5:28 PM, "ravi@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Shenandoah National Park, where the black bear density is very high, also permits the use of spray although I cannot imagine why anyone would feel the need to use it.  All of the bears that I've seen are more timid than deer.  After hiking the JMT without a bear sighting, I had a bear encounter at Shenandoah at few weeks later and another one in April.  Both times the bears ran as soon as they detected my presence.