Re: [John Muir Trail] MTR-->Whitney Portal in 6 days ?

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 5, 2011
      Hiking lots of hours per day is an alternate strategy toward big miles if you (like me) don't want to go lots of miles per hour (i.e., by speed-hiking ultralight).  Set an alarm for the start of twilight (about 40 minutes before sunrise) and be on the trail with the sunrise.  Stop for a cooked breakfast around 10 and cooked dinner around 4.  You can cover a lot of miles very happily between (say) 6 and 10, between 10:45 and 4 and between 5 and 7:30.  12 hours a day, even at a leisurely 1.5 miles per hour, is 18 miles.  The morning and evening light is wonderful and temps are cool.  You can just drycamp wherever you happen to be as the light starts to fade, since you won't be cooking any meals at your campsite.  Bears won't bother you since you aren't (usually) camping in places where bears associate with people.  Probably requires a small-footprint shelter plan so you don't have to hunt long for big prepared tentpads.

      On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:43 AM, nxs_310 <nxs.310@...> wrote:

      Berikade wkender: 9x10" @ 1 Lb 15 oz. & $225.-
      Bearikade Expedition: 9x14" @ 2 Lbs 5 oz. & $275.- (+4", +6 oz., +$50.-)

      My first time on the JMT or Backpacking for that matter...

      From what I've read so far (books, websites, maps, elevations) I think I can get from MTR to Whitney portal in 6 days and is what I will try for. Realistic, I don't know ???
      I have given myself a safety cushion of an additional 6 days on my permit if I choose to stretch it out, or out of necessity.

      I think it might be wise to go with the bigger/heavier Expedition version (9days food 1 person) (not so concerned with the price as the function) for the approximate additional 3 days worth of food it can potentially hold vs. the smaller wkender verson (6 days food/ 1 person) ?

      Troy