Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: crampons

  • Sunny Kaura
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006
      thanks frank.

      Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote: --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sunnyk110" <sunnyk110@...>
      wrote:

      > hello helpful ones,
      > starting the jmt july 26th. yosemite to portal. should we carry
      > crampons for the passes? an ice axe? hate to not finish the 23 niter
      > due to snowy passes. please provide opinions. thanks. sunny

      No definitely not needed. There will still be some snow but many
      people will have preceeded you and left 'steps'.

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2006
        I began my SOBO JMT last summer on July 22nd. I brought a lightweight
        ice axe and had instep crampons in my resupply at MTR. Neither were
        absolutely necessary. I never used the crampons and I used the ice axe
        minimally on Mather on a very early, cool morning, Glen and Forester.
        I could easily have traversed the ice/snow without the ice axe but
        used it since I had it. I had trekking poles which provided plenty of
        support.

        Save the weight, you won't need either.

        Dave

        wrote:

        > hello helpful ones,
        > starting the jmt july 26th. yosemite to portal. should we carry
        > crampons for the passes? an ice axe? hate to not finish the 23 niter
        > due to snowy passes. please provide opinions. thanks. sunny

      • Bob Carley
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24
          here is a link to massdrop. They recently had 5 point crampons. Although it appears their run with these has ended, you may be able to find them somewhere else.

          https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kovea-zipsin-five-crampons

          --
          Regards,

          Bob