Re: crampons

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 21, 2006
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sunnyk110" <sunnyk110@...>
      wrote:

      > hello helpful ones,
      > starting the jmt july 26th. yosemite to portal. should we carry
      > crampons for the passes? an ice axe? hate to not finish the 23 niter
      > due to snowy passes. please provide opinions. thanks. sunny

      No definitely not needed. There will still be some snow but many
      people will have preceeded you and left 'steps'.

    • Sunny Kaura
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
        thanks. makes me feel better. sunny

        dive_hike <dive_hike@...> wrote: sunny, it looks like there will be little or no snow on the passes
        by the end of July. The passes are typically mostly clear about 45
        days after the Upper Tyndall Creek sensor reaches zero. See this
        post from last year on the UTY sensor:

        The UTY sensor hit zero on June 15th, so I'd expect Forester Pass to
        be mostly clear by the end of July. The northern portion of the
        trail had more snow this year - so Donohue Pass might still have
        snow in late July, but its a fairly easy pass and there will be
        plenty of tracks.

        With the very warm weather right now, the passes and streams are
        probably very dangerous (snow, high water), but it should change
        fairly quickly over the next few weeks.

        Have a great hike!
        Bill

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
          thanks frank.

          Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote: --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sunnyk110" <sunnyk110@...>
          wrote:

          > hello helpful ones,
          > starting the jmt july 26th. yosemite to portal. should we carry
          > crampons for the passes? an ice axe? hate to not finish the 23 niter
          > due to snowy passes. please provide opinions. thanks. sunny

          No definitely not needed. There will still be some snow but many
          people will have preceeded you and left 'steps'.

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
            I began my SOBO JMT last summer on July 22nd. I brought a lightweight
            ice axe and had instep crampons in my resupply at MTR. Neither were
            absolutely necessary. I never used the crampons and I used the ice axe
            minimally on Mather on a very early, cool morning, Glen and Forester.
            I could easily have traversed the ice/snow without the ice axe but
            used it since I had it. I had trekking poles which provided plenty of
            support.

            Save the weight, you won't need either.

            Dave