crampons

  • sunnyk110
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 2006
      hello helpful ones,
      starting the jmt july 26th. yosemite to portal. should we carry
      crampons for the passes? an ice axe? hate to not finish the 23 niter
      due to snowy passes. please provide opinions. thanks. sunny
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2006
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sunnyk110" <sunnyk110@...>
        wrote:

        > hello helpful ones,
        > starting the jmt july 26th. yosemite to portal. should we carry
        > crampons for the passes? an ice axe? hate to not finish the 23 niter
        > due to snowy passes. please provide opinions. thanks. sunny

        No definitely not needed. There will still be some snow but many
        people will have preceeded you and left 'steps'.

      • dive_hike
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2006
          sunny, it looks like there will be little or no snow on the passes
          by the end of July. The passes are typically mostly clear about 45
          days after the Upper Tyndall Creek sensor reaches zero. See this
          post from last year on the UTY sensor:

          The UTY sensor hit zero on June 15th, so I'd expect Forester Pass to
          be mostly clear by the end of July. The northern portion of the
          trail had more snow this year - so Donohue Pass might still have
          snow in late July, but its a fairly easy pass and there will be
          plenty of tracks.

          With the very warm weather right now, the passes and streams are
          probably very dangerous (snow, high water), but it should change
          fairly quickly over the next few weeks.

          Have a great hike!
          Bill

          wrote:

          > hello helpful ones,
          > starting the jmt july 26th. yosemite to portal. should we carry
          > crampons for the passes? an ice axe? hate to not finish the 23
          niter
          > due to snowy passes. please provide opinions. thanks. sunny

        • Sunny Kaura
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
            thanks. makes me feel better. sunny

            dive_hike <dive_hike@...> wrote: sunny, it looks like there will be little or no snow on the passes

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
              thanks frank.

              Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote: --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sunnyk110" <sunnyk110@...>
              wrote:

              > hello helpful ones,
              > starting the jmt july 26th. yosemite to portal. should we carry
              > crampons for the passes? an ice axe? hate to not finish the 23 niter
              > due to snowy passes. please provide opinions. thanks. sunny

              No definitely not needed. There will still be some snow but many
              people will have preceeded you and left 'steps'.

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
                I began my SOBO JMT last summer on July 22nd. I brought a lightweight
                ice axe and had instep crampons in my resupply at MTR. Neither were
                absolutely necessary. I never used the crampons and I used the ice axe
                minimally on Mather on a very early, cool morning, Glen and Forester.
                I could easily have traversed the ice/snow without the ice axe but
                used it since I had it. I had trekking poles which provided plenty of
                support.

                Save the weight, you won't need either.

                Dave