Photos of Tioga Pass and Tuolumne June 17, 2006

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2006
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 20, 2006
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dive_hike" <dive_hike@...> wrote:

        > Enjoy!
        > http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=209847&f=0&b=0

        I just got back from a 4-day in the Valley. The Wilderness Center is
        saying 'full coverage at 9000'' but I would guess it is closer to 9500
        to 10000'. Plus the weather is getting warmer and the snow is melting
        fast.

        I did Snow Creek Trail out of Mirror Lake some and over to Yosemite
        Falls via North Dome. We did day hikes to Eagle Peak and El Cap.
        I stayed over Monday and day-hiked Half Dome. The only snow
        encoutered was patches at 7500' in heavily shaded areas. Half Dome
        has a small patch also. I could not find any backpackers heading into
        the high country yet. I kept hoping to find someone returning from
        Cathedral or hiking down from TM. Certainly a lot of snow on the
        peaks and passes but really hard to determine just 'how much'. I
        think once you can get by Cathedral the rest of the JMT will melt as
        you go. You will still have snowy passes but really they are part of it.

        Any trails with unbridged stream crossing are really dangerous at this
        point in time.