Possible Hikes for Jared

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
      Jared, here are a couple of ideas:

      1) Hike the JMT from Red's Meadows to Yosemite Valley (or the other
      way). This is just under 60 miles and includes some awesome lakes
      on the south side of Donohue.

      The YARTs runs a bus between Yosemite Valley and Mammoth to get back
      to your car:
      http://www.yarts.com/schedule.html

      Highway 120 East - Schedule & Fares
      http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2006/120ESUMMER06.pdf

      2) Start in Yosemite Valley and take 4 mile trail to Glacier Point
      (Alternate: Start at Wawona Tunnel Viewpoint. Hike along the south
      rim "Pohono Trail" to Glacier Point.) Then head out Illilouette
      Creek, over Merced Pass and then Fernandez Pass. Come back over
      Isberg Pass and hike down the Merced River back to Yosemite Valley.
      I don't have my maps / distances for this hike - but it is really
      nice with varied scenery - but not many lakes.

      Best Wishes.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jared Doty <jaredoty@...>
      wrote:

      > Hopefully some additional details will help. I have a timeline
      between late June (after the 24th until July 18th to choose from. I
      was thinking July would be warmer and make it easier to pack.

      > I am glad you included which specific things I would like to see.
      I enjoy the small lakes and streams. The large vista's are nice,
      but I like a nice small spot to setup and take some pictures and
      maybe eat some before I trek on.

      > I can do 20 miles per day and be comfortable, and i am used to
      more dry areas (White Sands). It would be easier to have an end
      point I can catch a bus at back to my vehicle.

      > Thanks so much for helping.

    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
        The second hike here is known as the Rutherford Lake Loop. It is
        described in the
        Sierra North book, by Winnett, et. al. I think it is trip Number
        72. I was planning to
        do that this year, but with all the snow there now (I start out next
        Tuesday) I have
        decided to go to the North side of the Clark Range from Glacier point
        via Merced
        Canyon. It will be a wet one this June.