Re: [John Muir Trail] Yosemite Update

  • Jared Doty
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10, 2006
      Hopefully some additional details will help. I have a timeline between late June (after the 24th until July 18th to choose from. I was thinking July would be warmer and make it easier to pack.

      I am glad you included which specific things I would like to see. I enjoy the small lakes and streams. The large vista's are nice, but I like a nice small spot to setup and take some pictures and maybe eat some before I trek on.

      I can do 20 miles per day and be comfortable, and i am used to more dry areas (White Sands). It would be easier to have an end point I can catch a bus at back to my vehicle.

      Thanks so much for helping.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
        Jared, here are a couple of ideas:

        1) Hike the JMT from Red's Meadows to Yosemite Valley (or the other
        way). This is just under 60 miles and includes some awesome lakes
        on the south side of Donohue.

        The YARTs runs a bus between Yosemite Valley and Mammoth to get back
        to your car:
        http://www.yarts.com/schedule.html

        Highway 120 East - Schedule & Fares
        http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2006/120ESUMMER06.pdf

        2) Start in Yosemite Valley and take 4 mile trail to Glacier Point
        (Alternate: Start at Wawona Tunnel Viewpoint. Hike along the south
        rim "Pohono Trail" to Glacier Point.) Then head out Illilouette
        Creek, over Merced Pass and then Fernandez Pass. Come back over
        Isberg Pass and hike down the Merced River back to Yosemite Valley.
        I don't have my maps / distances for this hike - but it is really
        nice with varied scenery - but not many lakes.

        Best Wishes.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jared Doty <jaredoty@...>
        wrote:

        > Hopefully some additional details will help. I have a timeline
        between late June (after the 24th until July 18th to choose from. I
        was thinking July would be warmer and make it easier to pack.

        > I am glad you included which specific things I would like to see.
        I enjoy the small lakes and streams. The large vista's are nice,
        but I like a nice small spot to setup and take some pictures and
        maybe eat some before I trek on.

        > I can do 20 miles per day and be comfortable, and i am used to
        more dry areas (White Sands). It would be easier to have an end
        point I can catch a bus at back to my vehicle.

        > Thanks so much for helping.

      • Prapanna Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
          The second hike here is known as the Rutherford Lake Loop. It is
          described in the
          Sierra North book, by Winnett, et. al. I think it is trip Number
          72. I was planning to
          do that this year, but with all the snow there now (I start out next
          Tuesday) I have
          decided to go to the North side of the Clark Range from Glacier point
          via Merced
          Canyon. It will be a wet one this June.