Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT Trail Safety ?: The Two Legged Weasel

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 3, 2011
      You can rent the Bearikades for a flat fee of $50 from the company (Wild Iseas) plus shipping, if you are doing the JMT or  PCT.  When you order it online just put in the blank section or notes section that you're doing the JMT and ask for the reduced rate. It's $50 for however long you take to do your hike.
      I've done this  a few times, now I need to buy one!

      I don't leave it right in front of my tent, maybe 30-50 away, depending on territory. No 2 legged weasels will take it once you're in the backcountry.

      Remember to keep your quarter handy (if thats what you use) for opening it.

      I saw the ad for the new can coming soon, it looks like a huge ball. Didn't appeal to me.

      Some people leave their packs empty and outside with all zippers open. Others put them in the tent vestibule or in the tent to use under their feet if they have a short pad.

       Barbara

      On Mar 3, 2011, at 8:15 AM, "nxs_310" <nxs.310@...> wrote:

      1st timer backpacking- hitting the JMT from HI to WP mid to late Aug. & in process of gearing up, which has been a lot of fun... AND VERY EXPENSIVE ! I know there are less expensive alternatives, but I'm making an investment and it's my way, sometimes to a fault.

      Anyways- considering the Bearikade Weekender or Expedition MKII at $225-$275 ?
      I believe the recommendation for bear vaults, is that you place it on level ground 100 feet or more away from your camp (preferably up wind). Cool... no problem.

      I am assuming there will likely be plenty of times that my very shinny and expensive Bearikade loaded with ALL my food and personal hygiene will be out of my line of vision and too far away to hear if it "walks" away ??? A Bear I am likely to hear- he will not get into it, or walk away with it. The "Two Legged Weasel" is another story.

      QUESTION: Is this a realistic concern ? anybody heard of this, or have any thought or suggestions ???
      Can't hang a bear bag, BUT, can you hang a Bearikade ? most people wont be looking up and they'll have to work at it a little... not just pick it up in plain sight a walk away ? bear bell inside so I could hear if it's being tampered with ?

      I hope this doesn't sound too negative... I believe that 99% of the people out there are likely honorable, but also want to protect the 2 legged weasel from temptation & ME ! as well as yogi :)

    • rwilly001
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 3, 2011
        That's why I used hot glue -- it'll peal off the plastic lid with any effort. Doing something like putting the opener on a string, drilling into the lid, or anything else that could provide a grip, handle, or entry point got ruled out pretty quickly!