Re: [John Muir Trail] Yosemite Update

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 9, 2006
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dive_hike" <dive_hike@...> wrote:

      > Lesley,
      >
      > This is an awesome section! Lyell Canyon is beautiful, and the
      > lakes on the south side of Donohue pass are as nice as any in the
      > Sierras.

      > There are a few trail junctions on the south side of Donohue - I've
      > heard of hikers taking a wrong turn at Shadow Lake and ending up at
      > Agnew Meadows. The trails can also get confusing in the Devil's
      > Postpile area. Just bring a map, and its easy to figure out.
      > Harrison's JMT maps work fine.
      >
      > My only complaint about this section is that the trail gets very
      > dusty near Red's Meadow due to the horse traffic. No big deal.
      >
      > The people at Red's Meadow are very nice:
      > http://redsmeadow.com/index.htm
      >
      > If anything, 5 days may be too much time - make sure you have other
      > activities planned (fishing, photography, side trips, etc.).
      >
      > The climb out of Lyell Canyon is fairly easy for experienced hikers,
      > but it could be a little strenuous for non-backpackers - especially
      > if they pack too much (heavy) gear. I'd spend some time with your
      > friends getting their pack weight down before you go.
      >
      > Light equals fun in backpacking! Also, there is plenty of water on
      > this section, so there is no need to carry more than a few pounds of
      > water at any time. Just stop and filter / purify more water.
      >
      > Finally, this is probably the most active bear section. Nothing to
      > worry about - they just want your food - be prepared.
      >
      > Have a great time.

      I agree with Dive here. Just go from TM to the campground the first
      day. That will allow sometime to aclimate to the altitude for the
      group. It is different for everybody. The trail is very, very wet
      here. If your group are wearing boots be sure they are well sealed
      and try and bring extra socks that dry fast. Between the wet trail
      and the snow on Donohue you will have wet feet.

      You have penty of time. You might want to do some side or day trips
      out of the Thousand Island Lakes area. If you get a chance check out
      'Sierra North' by Thomas Winnett (Wilderness Press)

      The main problem backpackers here have is weight. Depending on your
      group size you will be carrying several bear cans. The garcias are
      heavy so keep that factor in mind while you pack.

      have fun.

    • Jared Doty
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9, 2006
        Wondering if someoen can help me. I have visited Yosemite several times, but I am looking for between a 3-5 day hike for an athletice but not experienced hiker. I prefer to not have to pack much cold related gear, I've hiked more deserts than anything.

        I want to run into some, but not a lot of hikers and want to have taken home some great photos.

        Any sure routes out there?

        > This is an awesome section! Lyell Canyon is beautiful, and the
        > lakes on the south side of Donohue pass are as nice as any in the
        > Sierras.

        > There are a few trail junctions on the south side of Donohue - I've
        > heard of hikers taking a wrong turn at Shadow Lake and ending up at
        > Agnew Meadows. The trails can also get confusing in the Devil's
        > Postpile area. Just bring a map, and its easy to figure out.
        > Harrison's JMT maps work fine.
        >
        > My only complaint about this section is that the trail gets very
        > dusty near Red's Meadow due to the horse traffic. No big deal.
        >
        > The people at Red's Meadow are very nice:
        > http://redsmeadow. com/index. htm
        >
        > If anything, 5 days may be too much time - make sure you have other
        > activities planned (fishing, photography, side trips, etc.).
        >
        > The climb out of Lyell Canyon is fairly easy for experienced hikers,
        > but it could be a little strenuous for non-backpackers - especially
        > if they pack too much (heavy) gear. I'd spend some time with your
        > friends getting their pack weight down before you go.
        >
        > Light equals fun in backpacking! Also, there is plenty of water on
        > this section, so there is no need to carry more than a few pounds of
        > water at any time. Just stop and filter / purify more water.
        >
        > Finally, this is probably the most active bear section. Nothing to
        > worry about - they just want your food - be prepared.
        >
        > Have a great time.

        I agree with Dive here. Just go from TM to the campground the first
        day. That will allow sometime to aclimate to the altitude for the
        group. It is different for everybody. The trail is very, very wet
        here. If your group are wearing boots be sure they are well sealed
        and try and bring extra socks that dry fast. Between the wet trail
        and the snow on Donohue you will have wet feet.

        You have penty of time. You might want to do some side or day trips
        out of the Thousand Island Lakes area. If you get a chance check out
        'Sierra North' by Thomas Winnett (Wilderness Press)

        The main problem backpackers here have is weight. Depending on your
        group size you will be carrying several bear cans. The garcias are
        heavy so keep that factor in mind while you pack.

        have fun.

      • Dan McGuire
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 10, 2006
          Hey Jared,

          There's some great hikes to choose from - maybe a little more information
          would help us help you...

          -What month are you thinking of going?
          -How many miles a day are you comfortable with?
          -When you think of Yosemite, are you more interested in large, sweeping
          vistas, intimate little lakes, narrow river canyons? Lots to choose from....

          So many great choices!

          -d

          _____

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2006
            Hopefully some additional details will help. I have a timeline between late June (after the 24th until July 18th to choose from. I was thinking July would be warmer and make it easier to pack.

            I am glad you included which specific things I would like to see. I enjoy the small lakes and streams. The large vista's are nice, but I like a nice small spot to setup and take some pictures and maybe eat some before I trek on.

            I can do 20 miles per day and be comfortable, and i am used to more dry areas (White Sands). It would be easier to have an end point I can catch a bus at back to my vehicle.

            Thanks so much for helping.

            > This is an awesome section! Lyell Canyon is beautiful, and the
            > lakes on the south side of Donohue pass are as nice as any in the
            > Sierras.

            > There are a few trail junctions on the south side of Donohue - I've
            > heard of hikers taking a wrong turn at Shadow Lake and ending up at
            > Agnew Meadows. The trails can also get confusing in the Devil's
            > Postpile area. Just bring a map, and its easy to figure out.
            > Harrison's JMT maps work fine.
            >
            > My only complaint about this section is that the trail gets very
            > dusty near Red's Meadow due to the horse traffic. No big deal.
            >
            > The people at Red's Meadow are very nice:
            > http://redsmeadow. com/index. htm
            >
            > If anything, 5 days may be too much time - make sure you have other
            > activities planned (fishing, photography, side trips, etc.).
            >
            > The climb out of Lyell Canyon is fairly easy for experienced hikers,
            > but it could be a little strenuous for non-backpackers - especially
            > if they pack too much (heavy) gear. I'd spend some time with your
            > friends getting their pack weight down before you go.
            >
            > Light equals fun in backpacking! Also, there is plenty of water on
            > this section, so there is no need to carry more than a few pounds of
            > water at any time. Just stop and filter / purify more water.
            >
            > Finally, this is probably the most active bear section. Nothing to
            > worry about - they just want your food - be prepared.
            >
            > Have a great time.

            I agree with Dive here. Just go from TM to the campground the first
            day. That will allow sometime to aclimate to the altitude for the
            group. It is different for everybody. The trail is very, very wet
            here. If your group are wearing boots be sure they are well sealed
            and try and bring extra socks that dry fast. Between the wet trail
            and the snow on Donohue you will have wet feet.

            You have penty of time. You might want to do some side or day trips
            out of the Thousand Island Lakes area. If you get a chance check out
            'Sierra North' by Thomas Winnett (Wilderness Press)

            The main problem backpackers here have is weight. Depending on your
            group size you will be carrying several bear cans. The garcias are
            heavy so keep that factor in mind while you pack.

            have fun.

          • dive_hike
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
              Jared, here are a couple of ideas:

              1) Hike the JMT from Red's Meadows to Yosemite Valley (or the other
              way). This is just under 60 miles and includes some awesome lakes
              on the south side of Donohue.

              The YARTs runs a bus between Yosemite Valley and Mammoth to get back
              to your car:
              http://www.yarts.com/schedule.html

              Highway 120 East - Schedule & Fares
              http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2006/120ESUMMER06.pdf

              2) Start in Yosemite Valley and take 4 mile trail to Glacier Point
              (Alternate: Start at Wawona Tunnel Viewpoint. Hike along the south
              rim "Pohono Trail" to Glacier Point.) Then head out Illilouette
              Creek, over Merced Pass and then Fernandez Pass. Come back over
              Isberg Pass and hike down the Merced River back to Yosemite Valley.
              I don't have my maps / distances for this hike - but it is really
              nice with varied scenery - but not many lakes.

              Best Wishes.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jared Doty <jaredoty@...>
              wrote:

              > Hopefully some additional details will help. I have a timeline
              between late June (after the 24th until July 18th to choose from. I
              was thinking July would be warmer and make it easier to pack.

              > I am glad you included which specific things I would like to see.
              I enjoy the small lakes and streams. The large vista's are nice,
              but I like a nice small spot to setup and take some pictures and
              maybe eat some before I trek on.

              > I can do 20 miles per day and be comfortable, and i am used to
              more dry areas (White Sands). It would be easier to have an end
              point I can catch a bus at back to my vehicle.

              > Thanks so much for helping.

            • Prapanna Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
                The second hike here is known as the Rutherford Lake Loop. It is
                described in the
                Sierra North book, by Winnett, et. al. I think it is trip Number
                72. I was planning to
                do that this year, but with all the snow there now (I start out next
                Tuesday) I have
                decided to go to the North side of the Clark Range from Glacier point
                via Merced
                Canyon. It will be a wet one this June.