Re: [John Muir Trail] Yosemite Update

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8 3:42 PM
      Lesley,

      This is an awesome section! Lyell Canyon is beautiful, and the
      lakes on the south side of Donohue pass are as nice as any in the
      Sierras.

      It is about 34 miles from Tuolumne Meadows to Red's Meadow. The
      trail in Lyell Canyon is excellent and easy to follow. You will
      probably encounter snow over Donohue Pass in mid-July, but there
      should be 'easy to follow' tracks over the pass.

      There are a few trail junctions on the south side of Donohue - I've
      heard of hikers taking a wrong turn at Shadow Lake and ending up at
      Agnew Meadows. The trails can also get confusing in the Devil's
      Postpile area. Just bring a map, and its easy to figure out.
      Harrison's JMT maps work fine.

      My only complaint about this section is that the trail gets very
      dusty near Red's Meadow due to the horse traffic. No big deal.

      The people at Red's Meadow are very nice:
      http://redsmeadow.com/index.htm

      If anything, 5 days may be too much time - make sure you have other
      activities planned (fishing, photography, side trips, etc.).

      The climb out of Lyell Canyon is fairly easy for experienced hikers,
      but it could be a little strenuous for non-backpackers - especially
      if they pack too much (heavy) gear. I'd spend some time with your
      friends getting their pack weight down before you go.

      Light equals fun in backpacking! Also, there is plenty of water on
      this section, so there is no need to carry more than a few pounds of
      water at any time. Just stop and filter / purify more water.

      Finally, this is probably the most active bear section. Nothing to
      worry about - they just want your food - be prepared.

      Have a great time.
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9 5:48 AM
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dive_hike" <dive_hike@...> wrote:

        > Lesley,
        >
        > This is an awesome section! Lyell Canyon is beautiful, and the
        > lakes on the south side of Donohue pass are as nice as any in the
        > Sierras.

        > There are a few trail junctions on the south side of Donohue - I've
        > heard of hikers taking a wrong turn at Shadow Lake and ending up at
        > Agnew Meadows. The trails can also get confusing in the Devil's
        > Postpile area. Just bring a map, and its easy to figure out.
        > Harrison's JMT maps work fine.
        >
        > My only complaint about this section is that the trail gets very
        > dusty near Red's Meadow due to the horse traffic. No big deal.
        >
        > The people at Red's Meadow are very nice:
        > http://redsmeadow.com/index.htm
        >
        > If anything, 5 days may be too much time - make sure you have other
        > activities planned (fishing, photography, side trips, etc.).
        >
        > The climb out of Lyell Canyon is fairly easy for experienced hikers,
        > but it could be a little strenuous for non-backpackers - especially
        > if they pack too much (heavy) gear. I'd spend some time with your
        > friends getting their pack weight down before you go.
        >
        > Light equals fun in backpacking! Also, there is plenty of water on
        > this section, so there is no need to carry more than a few pounds of
        > water at any time. Just stop and filter / purify more water.
        >
        > Finally, this is probably the most active bear section. Nothing to
        > worry about - they just want your food - be prepared.
        >
        > Have a great time.

        I agree with Dive here. Just go from TM to the campground the first
        day. That will allow sometime to aclimate to the altitude for the
        group. It is different for everybody. The trail is very, very wet
        here. If your group are wearing boots be sure they are well sealed
        and try and bring extra socks that dry fast. Between the wet trail
        and the snow on Donohue you will have wet feet.

        You have penty of time. You might want to do some side or day trips
        out of the Thousand Island Lakes area. If you get a chance check out
        'Sierra North' by Thomas Winnett (Wilderness Press)

        The main problem backpackers here have is weight. Depending on your
        group size you will be carrying several bear cans. The garcias are
        heavy so keep that factor in mind while you pack.

        have fun.

      • Jared Doty
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 9 4:56 PM
          Wondering if someoen can help me. I have visited Yosemite several times, but I am looking for between a 3-5 day hike for an athletice but not experienced hiker. I prefer to not have to pack much cold related gear, I've hiked more deserts than anything.

          I want to run into some, but not a lot of hikers and want to have taken home some great photos.

          Any sure routes out there?

          > This is an awesome section! Lyell Canyon is beautiful, and the
          > lakes on the south side of Donohue pass are as nice as any in the
          > Sierras.

          > There are a few trail junctions on the south side of Donohue - I've
          > heard of hikers taking a wrong turn at Shadow Lake and ending up at
          > Agnew Meadows. The trails can also get confusing in the Devil's
          > Postpile area. Just bring a map, and its easy to figure out.
          > Harrison's JMT maps work fine.
          >
          > My only complaint about this section is that the trail gets very
          > dusty near Red's Meadow due to the horse traffic. No big deal.
          >
          > The people at Red's Meadow are very nice:
          > http://redsmeadow. com/index. htm
          >
          > If anything, 5 days may be too much time - make sure you have other
          > activities planned (fishing, photography, side trips, etc.).
          >
          > The climb out of Lyell Canyon is fairly easy for experienced hikers,
          > but it could be a little strenuous for non-backpackers - especially
          > if they pack too much (heavy) gear. I'd spend some time with your
          > friends getting their pack weight down before you go.
          >
          > Light equals fun in backpacking! Also, there is plenty of water on
          > this section, so there is no need to carry more than a few pounds of
          > water at any time. Just stop and filter / purify more water.
          >
          > Finally, this is probably the most active bear section. Nothing to
          > worry about - they just want your food - be prepared.
          >
          > Have a great time.

          I agree with Dive here. Just go from TM to the campground the first
          day. That will allow sometime to aclimate to the altitude for the
          group. It is different for everybody. The trail is very, very wet
          here. If your group are wearing boots be sure they are well sealed
          and try and bring extra socks that dry fast. Between the wet trail
          and the snow on Donohue you will have wet feet.

          You have penty of time. You might want to do some side or day trips
          out of the Thousand Island Lakes area. If you get a chance check out
          'Sierra North' by Thomas Winnett (Wilderness Press)

          The main problem backpackers here have is weight. Depending on your
          group size you will be carrying several bear cans. The garcias are
          heavy so keep that factor in mind while you pack.

          have fun.

        • Dan McGuire
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10 12:55 PM
            Hey Jared,

            There's some great hikes to choose from - maybe a little more information
            would help us help you...

            -What month are you thinking of going?
            -How many miles a day are you comfortable with?
            -When you think of Yosemite, are you more interested in large, sweeping
            vistas, intimate little lakes, narrow river canyons? Lots to choose from....

            So many great choices!

            -d

            _____

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 10 6:51 PM
              Hopefully some additional details will help. I have a timeline between late June (after the 24th until July 18th to choose from. I was thinking July would be warmer and make it easier to pack.

              I am glad you included which specific things I would like to see. I enjoy the small lakes and streams. The large vista's are nice, but I like a nice small spot to setup and take some pictures and maybe eat some before I trek on.

              I can do 20 miles per day and be comfortable, and i am used to more dry areas (White Sands). It would be easier to have an end point I can catch a bus at back to my vehicle.

              Thanks so much for helping.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12 2:53 PM
                Jared, here are a couple of ideas:

                1) Hike the JMT from Red's Meadows to Yosemite Valley (or the other
                way). This is just under 60 miles and includes some awesome lakes
                on the south side of Donohue.

                The YARTs runs a bus between Yosemite Valley and Mammoth to get back
                to your car:
                http://www.yarts.com/schedule.html

                Highway 120 East - Schedule & Fares
                http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2006/120ESUMMER06.pdf

                2) Start in Yosemite Valley and take 4 mile trail to Glacier Point
                (Alternate: Start at Wawona Tunnel Viewpoint. Hike along the south
                rim "Pohono Trail" to Glacier Point.) Then head out Illilouette
                Creek, over Merced Pass and then Fernandez Pass. Come back over
                Isberg Pass and hike down the Merced River back to Yosemite Valley.
                I don't have my maps / distances for this hike - but it is really
                nice with varied scenery - but not many lakes.

                Best Wishes.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jared Doty <jaredoty@...>
                wrote:

                > Hopefully some additional details will help. I have a timeline
                between late June (after the 24th until July 18th to choose from. I
                was thinking July would be warmer and make it easier to pack.

                > I am glad you included which specific things I would like to see.
                I enjoy the small lakes and streams. The large vista's are nice,
                but I like a nice small spot to setup and take some pictures and
                maybe eat some before I trek on.

                > I can do 20 miles per day and be comfortable, and i am used to
                more dry areas (White Sands). It would be easier to have an end
                point I can catch a bus at back to my vehicle.

                > Thanks so much for helping.

              • Prapanna Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 12 6:05 PM
                  The second hike here is known as the Rutherford Lake Loop. It is
                  described in the
                  Sierra North book, by Winnett, et. al. I think it is trip Number
                  72. I was planning to
                  do that this year, but with all the snow there now (I start out next
                  Tuesday) I have
                  decided to go to the North side of the Clark Range from Glacier point
                  via Merced
                  Canyon. It will be a wet one this June.