Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: JMT-SoBo YOSE--> Whitney

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
      On 3/2/2011 3:35 PM, Madmxe@... wrote:
      Hi all. I am planning on tackling the JMT with my son next August. Learning a lot here for sure. But I do have to question this speed hiking thing. Do you enjoy where your at and what your doing? I cant walk 5 steps in Yosemite without stopping to look at something.

      once you've been there often enough, you look for other reasons to enjoy a trip to the Sierras. Those reasons can be physical challenges tied to a trip you've already done before. I was happy with just hiking the trail as it is at a leisure pace the first few times I went. My next step, once I experienced my first "been there done that" vibes, was to find alternate routes to see new things. And when that ended, we picked up the pace, or added things like spending nights on top of summits, etc - just to kick it up a notch.

      Right now I am looking at "hey, if I go fast, I can pull off an October JMT in 10 days and with tavel to and from cover that thing in 2 weeks and 10 vacation days flat..."    If I don't go for the whole thing, I won't feel like it's worth the hassle of even traveling that far (especially with gas going up to new heights by then). If I actually do it in 10 days, or just cut out a few days short and abort early doesn't really matter in the planning. It can happen, but I do want to do the whole trail if I can manage the pace. It will have to be a very speedy hike to be able to cover it without resupply, or with at the most one stop at VVR which may still be open in mid October. It's also going to be a rather cold, dark and lonely place in October, so what else is a solo hiker gonna do but cover miles? You still get to see the amazing places, take photos and take note of all the cool stuff you don't see in other seasons, but for the most part it is a 200+ mile exercise session for me, in a great location with very clean air all around me, no internet, no phone, and winter knocking on the door, giving me that extra push to finish before the first snow hits.

      that's just one of the plans fermenting in the head of somebody who has seen the Muir Trail too many times to remember which trip was what year, etc. In fact, I recently realized that I have absolutely no recollection of my 1991 hike other than who was with me and that we had two vehicles to make the post hike transport a snap. Couldn't tell you anything about the hike itself, though, mostly because we took no photos. It's all lost in time. It was a good trip, I'm sure, but details? It was one more Muir Trail, without anything happening that makes it stand out in memory. No bears, no injuries, no snow storms, so probably a good time. But had we done it in 9 days, I'd probably remember it...

      I'm sure others can be happy to just see the same great trail all over again, stop 100 times a day and then wonder where the time went. Not everyone is like that, though. I can totally understand those who look a the JMT as a pure extreme running challenge. For them that's a great goal and what better place to do that in?

    • nxs_310
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
        Madmxe -

        I enjoy the scenery & being outdoors, but I also like (need) a challenge of some sort to keep me going. I must have a little ADD bc I have a short attention span, and get bored very very fast. The fast changing scenery and pace along with the added challenge of being able to move so quickly without tiring is exhilarating to me. I happen to be in pretty good shape and enjoy high endurance fitness, so if I can combine fitness into any activity, I am double happy !

        I am not so hell bent on the end point and challenge, that I am not willing to stop or slow down... I do, it's just my stopping & slowing down is much less than most. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it makes me happy. I also am going to get an awesome camera that takes panoramic pic's & video in 3D !!!, which can also be plugged into a BIG screen HD TV !!!! I'll have plenty of incredible memories to view, remember, and share for a lifetime :)

        Thanks for your question,
        Troy

      • Madmxe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
          What camera are you going to get? That sounds really cool.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
            madmxe-

            It's a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V 16.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Still Camera with 10x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom G Lens, 3D Sweep Panorama, and Full 1080/60i HD Video (Black).

            It's not out yet... the release date is 4/17/11, but u can pre-order it. It's 7.3 oz with battery @ $299
            You can get all the specs on sony website & pre order it on sony or amazon... just do a search with "Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V" to find it.
            Have FUN !!!