Spring High Sierra Skills Courses

  • ned@mountaineducation.org
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
      Mountain Education has often been asked if they would branch out their on-trail skills instructional trips to include Spring/Summer. Since what we do is to teach you how to be safe out there, to include:

      - Safety planning, training, and consideration before your trip (to also include re-supplies and emergency situations),
      - How to deal with following a trail buried under snow, below and above timberline, ascent, traverse, and descent,
      - On-trail safety hazards, whether snow-related or dealing with mud, flooded trail, nasty creek crossings, environmental awareness, fire-related, flora and fauna issues, food and camp safety, and personal requirements (like LNT and sanitation),

      we are considering offering a series of Spring/Summer Skills Training trips (of up to three weeks in length) to help thru hikers (and of course other backpackers, too!) realize what it exactly "takes" to navigate the High Sierra, especially if they are thinking of doing a Long Trail in their future.

      Would this be of interest?

      "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      1106A Ski Run Blvd
      South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
          P: 888-996-8333
          F: 530-541-1456
          C: 530-721-1551
          http://www.mountaineducation.org
    • outdoorman2200
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2011
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <ned@...> wrote:

        > Mountain Education has often been asked if they would branch out their on-trail skills instructional trips to include Spring/Summer. Since what we do is to teach you how to be safe out there, to include:
        >

        > Would this be of interest?

        I dont know if anyone answered but I know I would be interested and possibly my friends

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2011
            I am interested in a short course like that too.

            Ewa

            On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

            I'd be interested.  Probably not a long version, but for a shorter one (2-3 days, maybe).

          • Amy
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2011

              I would also be interested in a shorter version.-Amy