Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT-SoBo YOSE--> Whitney

  • Kim Fishburn
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
      You didn't want to try to break the record for Happy Isles to the top of Half Dome & back? You only needed to take another hour and 40 minutes off your time. Lets just say I wouldn't even come close.

      Kim

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011

        Troy

        That is a fast pace but certainly do-able. Start early and you will be able to cover your intended miles and still have some time to linger here and there. Suggest you plan on resupplying at TM and Reds for sure. That will allow you to keep food weight to a minimum. Decide when you get to Reds if you have time for VVR. If so, resupply there too and you will have covered the first half of the trail carrying no more than 1.5 or 2 days of food. Of course you will come out of MR with a relatively heavy pack, but by then have your “trail legs” established.

        Enjoy.

        Herb

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
          Wow ! and I thought I was fast- LOL ! (though I wasn't trying to break any records, just my pace- faster than most... I think... Don't prove me wrong now, Kim :)

          Thanks Barbara & Herb !

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "nxs_310" <nxs.310@...> wrote:

          > Hi- I'm new to backpacking and plan to hike JMT SoBo from YOSE to Whitney mid to late August in 10-14 days. Fast, I know, but I only have a small window bc of work. I tend to hike fast... I made it to the top of Half Dome in 4hrs 10 min from the valley last year and was no prob. I know it's only 17 miles round trip & I didn't have a 25-30lb pack for consecutive days, but I feel my condition and time frame/pace is very doable.
          >
          > The info I have found on this site has been extremely valuable to me along with the various links to other sites you have listed here as well. So far I think this is the most complete, informative, and helpful though.
          >
          > Happy to be a part of this group & look forward to sharing !!!
          > Troy

        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
            http://yosemiteexplorer.com/yosemite-news/100708-half-dome-record-rickey-gates

            Wow ! and I thought I was fast- LOL ! (though I wasn't trying to break any records, just my pace- faster than most... I think... Don't prove me wrong now, Kim :)

            Thanks Barbara & Herb !

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "nxs_310" <nxs.310@...> wrote:

            > Hi- I'm new to backpacking and plan to hike JMT SoBo from YOSE to Whitney mid to late August in 10-14 days. Fast, I know, but I only have a small window bc of work. I tend to hike fast... I made it to the top of Half Dome in 4hrs 10 min from the valley last year and was no prob. I know it's only 17 miles round trip & I didn't have a 25-30lb pack for consecutive days, but I feel my condition and time frame/pace is very doable.
            >
            > The info I have found on this site has been extremely valuable to me along with the various links to other sites you have listed here as well. So far I think this is the most complete, informative, and helpful though.
            >
            > Happy to be a part of this group & look forward to sharing !!!
            > Troy

          • nxs_310
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
              Ok, that's it... Challenge ON ! I can go from 4hrs 10min to 1hr 32min NO PROB... HAHA, j/k That is seriously crazy, but incredible he was able to do that ! thx for the link :)

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

              > http://yosemiteexplorer.com/yosemite-news/100708-half-dome-record-rickey-gates
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Ed Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                Say nxs_310 you might want to check this video out http://vimeo.com/7851505 this guy try to do the JMT in 7 days

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                  I think you should definitely resupply at Muir Trail Ranch too, it would enable you to save considerable weight as then when you leave at Reds Meadow you are only carrying about 50 miles of food.  I wouldn't bother VVR as the ferry wait, etc., would interfere with your speed schedule.

                  Thanks for the compliment about our group.  I agree that the best research consolidation about the JMT is in this Yahoo group.

                  Roleigh
                • Madmxe@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                    Hi all. I am planning on tackling the JMT with my son next August. Learning a lot here for sure. But I do have to question this speed hiking thing. Do you enjoy where your at and what your doing? I cant walk 5 steps in Yosemite without stopping to look at something.

                    In a message dated 3/2/2011 1:05:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, nxs.310@... writes:
                    Ok, that's it... Challenge ON ! I can go from 4hrs 10min to 1hr 32min NO PROB... HAHA, j/k That is seriously crazy, but incredible he was able to do that ! thx for the link :)

                  • Peter Burke
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                      On 3/2/2011 3:11 PM, Ed Rodriguez wrote:
                      Say nxs_310 you might want to check this video out http://vimeo.com/7851505 this guy try to do the JMT in 7 days

                      you really want to read this one if 7 days sounds like Speedy Gonzales to you:

                      http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=1&Number=68751&Search=true#Post68751

                      note, he was the fastest only for a day or two - some other guy obliterated his record by several hours a few days later

                      I always felt drawn to doing it fast (a normal reaction when you've seen it a dozen or more times), but I know I'll never match the speed of these young guns. When I was younger, we did it in 10 days (1990), and we were not even trying to go fast. It just turned out to be a 10 day hike and we thought it was normal speed (and we used real boots, a real 7 pound tent, etc - it was long before ultralight was a term known to man)

                      Ok, that's it... Challenge ON ! I can go from 4hrs 10min to 1hr 32min NO PROB... HAHA, j/k That is seriously crazy, but incredible he was able to do that ! thx for the link :)

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

                      > http://yosemiteexplorer.com/yosemite-news/100708-half-dome-record-rickey-gates
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Karpani
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                        Hey, Speedy!  It's great to welcome you and your enthusiasm to the group!  We have lots of fun here, sharing information and personal experiences.  Have a great time out there!
                        Karpani

                        Ok, that's it... Challenge ON ! I can go from 4hrs 10min to 1hr 32min NO PROB... HAHA, j/k That is seriously crazy, but incredible he was able to do that ! thx for the link :)

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

                        > http://yosemiteexplorer.com/yosemite-news/100708-half-dome-record-rickey-gates
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Peter Burke
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                          On 3/2/2011 3:35 PM, Madmxe@... wrote:
                          Hi all. I am planning on tackling the JMT with my son next August. Learning a lot here for sure. But I do have to question this speed hiking thing. Do you enjoy where your at and what your doing? I cant walk 5 steps in Yosemite without stopping to look at something.

                          once you've been there often enough, you look for other reasons to enjoy a trip to the Sierras. Those reasons can be physical challenges tied to a trip you've already done before. I was happy with just hiking the trail as it is at a leisure pace the first few times I went. My next step, once I experienced my first "been there done that" vibes, was to find alternate routes to see new things. And when that ended, we picked up the pace, or added things like spending nights on top of summits, etc - just to kick it up a notch.

                          Right now I am looking at "hey, if I go fast, I can pull off an October JMT in 10 days and with tavel to and from cover that thing in 2 weeks and 10 vacation days flat..."    If I don't go for the whole thing, I won't feel like it's worth the hassle of even traveling that far (especially with gas going up to new heights by then). If I actually do it in 10 days, or just cut out a few days short and abort early doesn't really matter in the planning. It can happen, but I do want to do the whole trail if I can manage the pace. It will have to be a very speedy hike to be able to cover it without resupply, or with at the most one stop at VVR which may still be open in mid October. It's also going to be a rather cold, dark and lonely place in October, so what else is a solo hiker gonna do but cover miles? You still get to see the amazing places, take photos and take note of all the cool stuff you don't see in other seasons, but for the most part it is a 200+ mile exercise session for me, in a great location with very clean air all around me, no internet, no phone, and winter knocking on the door, giving me that extra push to finish before the first snow hits.

                          that's just one of the plans fermenting in the head of somebody who has seen the Muir Trail too many times to remember which trip was what year, etc. In fact, I recently realized that I have absolutely no recollection of my 1991 hike other than who was with me and that we had two vehicles to make the post hike transport a snap. Couldn't tell you anything about the hike itself, though, mostly because we took no photos. It's all lost in time. It was a good trip, I'm sure, but details? It was one more Muir Trail, without anything happening that makes it stand out in memory. No bears, no injuries, no snow storms, so probably a good time. But had we done it in 9 days, I'd probably remember it...

                          I'm sure others can be happy to just see the same great trail all over again, stop 100 times a day and then wonder where the time went. Not everyone is like that, though. I can totally understand those who look a the JMT as a pure extreme running challenge. For them that's a great goal and what better place to do that in?

                        • nxs_310
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                            Madmxe -

                            I enjoy the scenery & being outdoors, but I also like (need) a challenge of some sort to keep me going. I must have a little ADD bc I have a short attention span, and get bored very very fast. The fast changing scenery and pace along with the added challenge of being able to move so quickly without tiring is exhilarating to me. I happen to be in pretty good shape and enjoy high endurance fitness, so if I can combine fitness into any activity, I am double happy !

                            I am not so hell bent on the end point and challenge, that I am not willing to stop or slow down... I do, it's just my stopping & slowing down is much less than most. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it makes me happy. I also am going to get an awesome camera that takes panoramic pic's & video in 3D !!!, which can also be plugged into a BIG screen HD TV !!!! I'll have plenty of incredible memories to view, remember, and share for a lifetime :)

                            Thanks for your question,
                            Troy

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                              What camera are you going to get? That sounds really cool.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 2, 2011
                                madmxe-

                                It's a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V 16.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Still Camera with 10x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom G Lens, 3D Sweep Panorama, and Full 1080/60i HD Video (Black).

                                It's not out yet... the release date is 4/17/11, but u can pre-order it. It's 7.3 oz with battery @ $299
                                You can get all the specs on sony website & pre order it on sony or amazon... just do a search with "Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V" to find it.
                                Have FUN !!!