Re: [John Muir Trail] Question Regarding my June trip

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
      On 3/1/2011 4:06 PM, msstanford2002 wrote:
      > Hey all,
      >
      > I have my permit reservations for 6/15 - 6/19

      > We intended to do Half Dome on 6/20, but we're willing to do it beforehand if need be.

      so you're exiting before going back in for Half Dome? that's not
      possible. You can do Half Dome as part of that trip, and then exit. The
      exit date is tentative - just tell them it takes longer because you want
      to bag Half Dome before going down to Happy Isles. There is no exit
      quota so that should not be a problem. What you can't do is exit the
      wilderness and then go back up to Half Dome the next day without a
      dedicated one day permit.
    • msstanford2002
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011
        Hey Group,

        Thanks for the replys. So, with your help & also calling the office, I was able to get some clarification - this may prove useful to any newbies (like me :) ) that are wanting to do Half Dome.

        The ranger told me that as long as Half Dome is in your route (needs to match up in terms of entry/exit trailheads), you will be able to pick up your Half Dome permit WHEN you pick up your permits. You don't need to obtain a 2nd Half Dome permit if you do it this way. I've confirmed this w/2 people at their office.

        The panic for me came when my hiking buddy contradicted the above (I had told him this previously, but he made me second guess myself :) ). He tried to get individual Half Dome permits & they sold out in the morning yesterday, hence the panic.

        I posted here & called the wilderness center - they were actually kind enough to extend my permit a day so that we could be sure to fit Half Dome in our trip.

        Now, we just need to figure out what to do w/our gear (our main packs) when we hike up Half Dome - is it really safe to just leave it hidden (as was suggested to me before on this forum)?

        As of right now, our entry is at Lyell & we're going to take Rafferty Creek to Vogelsang. From there - down towards Merced Lake (maybe Emeric)& then on to Happy Isles/Half Dome. We sort of want a day to rest before doing Half Dome as I've heard it's pretty tough (it's our first time doing Half Dome).

        Thoughts? Or am I just nuts! :)

        Thanks guys,

        Scott

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "msstanford2002" <msstanford2002@...> wrote:

        > Hey all,
        >
        > I have my permit reservations for 6/15 - 6/19 (Entry: Lyell; Exit:Happy Isles->Little Yosemite Valley). We intend to do Half Dome during this trip & I was initially under the impression that we could pick up our Half Dome permits when we picked up our Wilderness Permits. We intended to do Half Dome on 6/20, but we're willing to do it beforehand if need be.
        >
        > I had heard that as a courtesy to backcountry backpackers, they allowed Half Dome permits to be issued when we pick up our permits.
        >
        > Any insight as to this? Does anyone know if we'll be able to pick up our permits for Half Dome on 6/15?
        >
        > Any insight would be much appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks! :)
        >
        > Scott

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2011

          A few years ago we camped at LYV then hiked up to Half Dome.  As you come up to the bottom of the granite shoulder, then is a flattish quite long ridge that you walk along before you start up the granite steps up the shoulder.  If you look around on the ridge there are downed tress, boulders etc, and places where you can stash stuff.  We stashed hiking boots (cos we changed into climbing shoes), hiking poles, and 2 day packs.  They were fine when we got back down.  But there was no food in them.  Of course, you’ll have a canister with you for food and smellies anyway – just don’t stash it where it can roll down 4,000 feet to Tenaya Canyon !  Barbara