RE: [John Muir Trail] Yosemite Update

  • Lesley Fulton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8 11:03 AM
      thanks to all who has given great advice - i'm really excited for this summer hiking season....but i do have a question - which hopefully I can get some good advice on....

      I am venturing into a 5 day backpacking trip from lyell canyon to Red's Meadow (starting july 18th). Now i am an experienced hiker/backpacker however i have never been in this area before and i am bringing non-backpackers on trip (they are athletes but never have been on a backpacking trip)

      so the questions:

      1. is 5 days a reasonable goal?
      2. is the terain easy enough for non-backpackers
      3. is the trail easy to follow (remember i'm the experienced one but i am bring 2 of my friends and i want to look good - so i don't want to get lost)

      thanks again!!
      GO OUT AND HAVE SOME FUN THIS WEEKEND :)

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comFrom: sriprank@...: Mon, 29 May 2006 19:27:19 +0000Subject: [John Muir Trail] Yosemite UpdateTrail Conditions as of May 26http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/trailconditions.htmThe first PCT Hikers are getting close to Kennedy Meadows in the S.Sierra.You can log into trailjournals.com as check out their progress.f

      High sierra sport
      High sierras

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Mike Pust
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8 2:13 PM
        As long as everyone is in good shape, five days is a
        piece of cake. As you approach the pass from Lyle
        Canyon, there's beautiful little meadowed laklet, a
        great spot to do the first night. Thousand Island
        Lake is a windy son-of-a-gun, but there are several
        lakes passed it that that are awesome. It's a
        beautiful hike.

        26http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/trailconditions.htmThe
        > first PCT Hikers are getting close to Kennedy
        > Meadows in the S.Sierra.You can log into
        > trailjournals.com as check out their progress.f
        >

        > High sierra sport
        > High sierras
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.
        > Terms of Service.

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • dive_hike
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8 3:42 PM
          Lesley,

          This is an awesome section! Lyell Canyon is beautiful, and the
          lakes on the south side of Donohue pass are as nice as any in the
          Sierras.

          It is about 34 miles from Tuolumne Meadows to Red's Meadow. The
          trail in Lyell Canyon is excellent and easy to follow. You will
          probably encounter snow over Donohue Pass in mid-July, but there
          should be 'easy to follow' tracks over the pass.

          There are a few trail junctions on the south side of Donohue - I've
          heard of hikers taking a wrong turn at Shadow Lake and ending up at
          Agnew Meadows. The trails can also get confusing in the Devil's
          Postpile area. Just bring a map, and its easy to figure out.
          Harrison's JMT maps work fine.

          My only complaint about this section is that the trail gets very
          dusty near Red's Meadow due to the horse traffic. No big deal.

          The people at Red's Meadow are very nice:
          http://redsmeadow.com/index.htm

          If anything, 5 days may be too much time - make sure you have other
          activities planned (fishing, photography, side trips, etc.).

          The climb out of Lyell Canyon is fairly easy for experienced hikers,
          but it could be a little strenuous for non-backpackers - especially
          if they pack too much (heavy) gear. I'd spend some time with your
          friends getting their pack weight down before you go.

          Light equals fun in backpacking! Also, there is plenty of water on
          this section, so there is no need to carry more than a few pounds of
          water at any time. Just stop and filter / purify more water.

          Finally, this is probably the most active bear section. Nothing to
          worry about - they just want your food - be prepared.

          Have a great time.
        • Frank Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 9 5:48 AM
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dive_hike" <dive_hike@...> wrote:

            > Lesley,
            >
            > This is an awesome section! Lyell Canyon is beautiful, and the
            > lakes on the south side of Donohue pass are as nice as any in the
            > Sierras.

            > There are a few trail junctions on the south side of Donohue - I've
            > heard of hikers taking a wrong turn at Shadow Lake and ending up at
            > Agnew Meadows. The trails can also get confusing in the Devil's
            > Postpile area. Just bring a map, and its easy to figure out.
            > Harrison's JMT maps work fine.
            >
            > My only complaint about this section is that the trail gets very
            > dusty near Red's Meadow due to the horse traffic. No big deal.
            >
            > The people at Red's Meadow are very nice:
            > http://redsmeadow.com/index.htm
            >
            > If anything, 5 days may be too much time - make sure you have other
            > activities planned (fishing, photography, side trips, etc.).
            >
            > The climb out of Lyell Canyon is fairly easy for experienced hikers,
            > but it could be a little strenuous for non-backpackers - especially
            > if they pack too much (heavy) gear. I'd spend some time with your
            > friends getting their pack weight down before you go.
            >
            > Light equals fun in backpacking! Also, there is plenty of water on
            > this section, so there is no need to carry more than a few pounds of
            > water at any time. Just stop and filter / purify more water.
            >
            > Finally, this is probably the most active bear section. Nothing to
            > worry about - they just want your food - be prepared.
            >
            > Have a great time.

            I agree with Dive here. Just go from TM to the campground the first
            day. That will allow sometime to aclimate to the altitude for the
            group. It is different for everybody. The trail is very, very wet
            here. If your group are wearing boots be sure they are well sealed
            and try and bring extra socks that dry fast. Between the wet trail
            and the snow on Donohue you will have wet feet.

            You have penty of time. You might want to do some side or day trips
            out of the Thousand Island Lakes area. If you get a chance check out
            'Sierra North' by Thomas Winnett (Wilderness Press)

            The main problem backpackers here have is weight. Depending on your
            group size you will be carrying several bear cans. The garcias are
            heavy so keep that factor in mind while you pack.

            have fun.

          • Jared Doty
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 9 4:56 PM
              Wondering if someoen can help me. I have visited Yosemite several times, but I am looking for between a 3-5 day hike for an athletice but not experienced hiker. I prefer to not have to pack much cold related gear, I've hiked more deserts than anything.

              I want to run into some, but not a lot of hikers and want to have taken home some great photos.

              Any sure routes out there?

              > This is an awesome section! Lyell Canyon is beautiful, and the
              > lakes on the south side of Donohue pass are as nice as any in the
              > Sierras.

              > There are a few trail junctions on the south side of Donohue - I've
              > heard of hikers taking a wrong turn at Shadow Lake and ending up at
              > Agnew Meadows. The trails can also get confusing in the Devil's
              > Postpile area. Just bring a map, and its easy to figure out.
              > Harrison's JMT maps work fine.
              >
              > My only complaint about this section is that the trail gets very
              > dusty near Red's Meadow due to the horse traffic. No big deal.
              >
              > The people at Red's Meadow are very nice:
              > http://redsmeadow. com/index. htm
              >
              > If anything, 5 days may be too much time - make sure you have other
              > activities planned (fishing, photography, side trips, etc.).
              >
              > The climb out of Lyell Canyon is fairly easy for experienced hikers,
              > but it could be a little strenuous for non-backpackers - especially
              > if they pack too much (heavy) gear. I'd spend some time with your
              > friends getting their pack weight down before you go.
              >
              > Light equals fun in backpacking! Also, there is plenty of water on
              > this section, so there is no need to carry more than a few pounds of
              > water at any time. Just stop and filter / purify more water.
              >
              > Finally, this is probably the most active bear section. Nothing to
              > worry about - they just want your food - be prepared.
              >
              > Have a great time.

              I agree with Dive here. Just go from TM to the campground the first
              day. That will allow sometime to aclimate to the altitude for the
              group. It is different for everybody. The trail is very, very wet
              here. If your group are wearing boots be sure they are well sealed
              and try and bring extra socks that dry fast. Between the wet trail
              and the snow on Donohue you will have wet feet.

              You have penty of time. You might want to do some side or day trips
              out of the Thousand Island Lakes area. If you get a chance check out
              'Sierra North' by Thomas Winnett (Wilderness Press)

              The main problem backpackers here have is weight. Depending on your
              group size you will be carrying several bear cans. The garcias are
              heavy so keep that factor in mind while you pack.

              have fun.

            • Dan McGuire
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 10 12:55 PM
                Hey Jared,

                There's some great hikes to choose from - maybe a little more information
                would help us help you...

                -What month are you thinking of going?
                -How many miles a day are you comfortable with?
                -When you think of Yosemite, are you more interested in large, sweeping
                vistas, intimate little lakes, narrow river canyons? Lots to choose from....

                So many great choices!

                -d

                _____

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 10 6:51 PM
                  Hopefully some additional details will help. I have a timeline between late June (after the 24th until July 18th to choose from. I was thinking July would be warmer and make it easier to pack.

                  I am glad you included which specific things I would like to see. I enjoy the small lakes and streams. The large vista's are nice, but I like a nice small spot to setup and take some pictures and maybe eat some before I trek on.

                  I can do 20 miles per day and be comfortable, and i am used to more dry areas (White Sands). It would be easier to have an end point I can catch a bus at back to my vehicle.

                  Thanks so much for helping.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 12 2:53 PM
                    Jared, here are a couple of ideas:

                    1) Hike the JMT from Red's Meadows to Yosemite Valley (or the other
                    way). This is just under 60 miles and includes some awesome lakes
                    on the south side of Donohue.

                    The YARTs runs a bus between Yosemite Valley and Mammoth to get back
                    to your car:
                    http://www.yarts.com/schedule.html

                    Highway 120 East - Schedule & Fares
                    http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2006/120ESUMMER06.pdf

                    2) Start in Yosemite Valley and take 4 mile trail to Glacier Point
                    (Alternate: Start at Wawona Tunnel Viewpoint. Hike along the south
                    rim "Pohono Trail" to Glacier Point.) Then head out Illilouette
                    Creek, over Merced Pass and then Fernandez Pass. Come back over
                    Isberg Pass and hike down the Merced River back to Yosemite Valley.
                    I don't have my maps / distances for this hike - but it is really
                    nice with varied scenery - but not many lakes.

                    Best Wishes.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jared Doty <jaredoty@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hopefully some additional details will help. I have a timeline
                    between late June (after the 24th until July 18th to choose from. I
                    was thinking July would be warmer and make it easier to pack.

                    > I am glad you included which specific things I would like to see.
                    I enjoy the small lakes and streams. The large vista's are nice,
                    but I like a nice small spot to setup and take some pictures and
                    maybe eat some before I trek on.

                    > I can do 20 miles per day and be comfortable, and i am used to
                    more dry areas (White Sands). It would be easier to have an end
                    point I can catch a bus at back to my vehicle.

                    > Thanks so much for helping.

                  • Prapanna Smith
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 12 6:05 PM
                      The second hike here is known as the Rutherford Lake Loop. It is
                      described in the
                      Sierra North book, by Winnett, et. al. I think it is trip Number
                      72. I was planning to
                      do that this year, but with all the snow there now (I start out next
                      Tuesday) I have
                      decided to go to the North side of the Clark Range from Glacier point
                      via Merced
                      Canyon. It will be a wet one this June.