Re: Really stupid question regarding clothes for JMT!!

  • Bronco
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2011
      There are no stupid questions. I wear nylon, vented Rail Riders long pants and long sleeves to avoid carrying a bucket of sunscreen and to stay clean. Ex Oficio anti-crotch-scum undershorts (2) are odor free for several days w/o washing. I carry shorts for swimming, hot springs, etc.

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 6, 2011
        For me, just to be complete:

        ex-officio briefs with 1-2 spares
        baselayer top and bottom (usually Capilene 2)
        runner's shorts to wear over the baselayer bottoms (for modesty?)
        cap with sun flap
        fingerless carpenters work gloves for hiking
        liner socks (at least 2 spares)
        hiking socks (at least 3 spares)
        mid- or low gaiters
        boots
        loud whistle
        sunglasses

        No spares, except as noted.

        I don't bring pants or shirt - I just hike in the baselayer on the JMT because there's no brush where you need the abrasion resistance - baselayer works fine.  In hot weather, I drench the baselayer in water at each stream and the evaporation keeps me cool for the next few miles.

        Supplement with:

        second baselayer top and bottom for use in sleeping bag and as an extra layer in case of cold (preferably well-worn-very-thin silk) - when the baselayer is all sweaty at day's end, it's great to change into a different, dry baselayer
        light balaclava
        wind-resistant fleece cap
        appropriate-weight fleece midlayer for cold - top and bottom - wear nights and mornings and wear in the bag on cold nights - I prefer it to down
        Marmot original windshirt
        good raingear (use as an outer layer for for cold also)
        competition swim suit to wear for modesty while washing anything else (or swimming)
        liner gloves for warmth
        waterproof mittens

        Pics of things that aren't self-explanatory

        marmotoriginal. windshirtjpg.jpg

        balaclava.jpg

        Fingerless gloves.jpg
        fleece.jpg