Tuolumne Re Supply Point

  • jpekcenle
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
      Does anyone have specific information on the use of the Tuolumne Post Office as a re-supply point; what is its' zip code; how long will they hold a re-supply package; what are the hours in September, etc.?
      Thanks for all specific information.
      John Everett
    • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
        The zip code is 95389 their phone # is (209) 372-8429. Not sure what their hours are am thinking from 8 something to 4:30 or 5 not sure if they have the same hour on Saturday or close for the season. On my resupply box I put down HOLD UNTILL ____ for JMT hiker I give myself a few extra day for my hold dates just in case I fall behind for what every reason.

        From: "jpekcenle" <johneverett@...>
        Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:51:58 -0000
        To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Tuolumne Re Supply Point

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
          See this file

          Food Supply Planning for JMT 09 hike by Roleigh Martin.zip
          Food and Supply Planning for JMT 2009 hike by Roleigh Martin. Includes Inventory of each supply cache, calculation of protein/carbs/fat per day/meal, info on mailing to each supply point.

          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UJxrTZSphh9LDmFnLCmXabvq56K1FGcoFoZwEWB39aqN3yZqvQz57tefoDs0sjB6dhlRDH6vMHVqa3LO_I37/Food%20and%20trail%20cooking/Food%20%20Supply%20Planning%20for%20JMT%2009%20hike%20by%20Roleigh%20Martin.zip

          Which is in the "
          Files

          Food and trail cooking" section of our library.  I shared this info (you want to see the "info on mailing to each supply point" there.  I show the mailing label to use, the ship date prior to trailhead date (in this file, the trailhead start in Happy Isles was July 19).  I recommend you include an inventory of what you ship there, so that if you ask yourself (did I remember to ship such and such, your inventory will answer that question).  It also helps you in doing planning for repeat hikes.

          We also have a folder,Files

          Resupply, but nothing specific to Tuolumne Meadows, my my file included TM.
        • Don Amundson
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
            Per the USPS

            Post Office™ Location - TUOLUMNE MEADOWS
            14000 HIGHWAY 120 E
            YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, CA 95389-9906

            (800) ASK-USPS

            (800) 275-8777

            (209) 372-4475

            Business Hours
            Mon-Fri
            9:00am-5:00pm
            Sat
            9:00am-12:00pm
            Sun
            closed

            General Delivery is available for customers if carrier service or a PO Box is not an option. Individual mailpieces will be held for up to 30 days and can be conveniently picked up by presenting identification.

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
              Does any body remember where TM PO closes for the season

              From: johneverett@...
              Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:51:58 +0000

              Does anyone have specific information on the use of the Tuolumne Post Office as a re-supply point; what is its' zip code; how long will they hold a re-supply package; what are the hours in September, etc.?
              Thanks for all specific information.
              John Everett

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
                Probably by Sept 23 when everything else closes up there. T
                By the way, TM isn't opening til really late this year, like mid July or later,due to high snow year.

                 Barbara

                From: johneverett@...
                Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:51:58 +0000

                Does anyone have specific information on the use of the Tuolumne Post Office as a re-supply point; what is its' zip code; how long will they hold a re-supply package; what are the hours in September, etc.?
                Thanks for all specific information.
                John Everett

              • Kim Fishburn

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
                    The delayed opening date info was on the Yosemite website for reserving campsites at TM. Also their "usual" dates for closing.

                     Barbara

                    On Feb 28, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

                    Did you read this somewhere?

                    Probably by Sept 23 when everything else closes up there. T
                    By the way, TM isn't opening til really late this year, like mid July or later,due to high snow year.

                     Barbara

                  • Peter Burke
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 28, 2011
                      On 2/28/2011 3:58 PM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:
                      The delayed opening date info was on the Yosemite website for reserving campsites at TM. Also their "usual" dates for closing.

                      That doesn't necessarily mean they will open late. They just want to make sure that there's no reservations for dates they "may" not be open. It takes a few days to get the area ready for operation once the road opens, and then there may be water issues. The store itself needs to be set up, which will easily take one week or more from the time the road opens.

                      In 2009, we were unable to reserve camp sites at TM for the first half of July, but the campground was open when we got there in early July.
                    • blissfulhiker
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
                        The website said July 1 for the campground - ? We need to resupply at the store around July 8-9- so hope its open!

                        Blissful

                        http://www.blissfulhiking.blogspot.com

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

                        > Did you read this somewhere?
                        >

                        > Probably by Sept 23 when everything else closes up there. T
                        > By the way, TM isn't opening til really late this year, like mid July or
                        > later,due to high snow year.
                        >
                        > Barbara

                      • Peter Burke
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 1, 2011
                          On 3/1/2011 8:54 AM, blissfulhiker wrote:
                          > The website said July 1 for the campground - ? We need to resupply at the store around July 8-9- so hope its open!
                          >
                          > Blissful

                          If you have a car and can drive up to TM before the hike, do what we did
                          the last years: stash your supplies in one of the bear lockers at the
                          bottom of the long term parking lot at the TM ranger station. In 2009,
                          we had a box with imported wine in there for 3+ weeks (gift from a pair
                          of hikers we helped out with resupply preparation), and it was still
                          there when we got back. Obviously, there is a risk, but in return, the
                          lockers don't have opening hours - you can get to your supplies whenever
                          you get there.

                          Peter