Really stupid question regarding clothes for JMT!!

  • nawlunz
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
      Again, really apologize for this question which some may consider "stupid" and others just a matter of personal preference. But, I am looking at EVERYTHING in my pack regarding weight. Last year, I did an 8 day segment in the Sierras, and felt I was just carrying too much...I struggled on some passes. This year, I plan to do the entire JMT and nothing will go without serious review of it's use in my pack. So, my question has to do with clothes, and in particular pants. I am wondering if I can get by with one pair of lightweight nylon for the 18 days, or do others generally pack two lightweight pairs? I ask this because last year I found over the 8 days I wore the same shorts daily...yes, they had a little stench at the end of the trip, but served me well.

      So, what do others do....pack an extra pair of pants and wear one? Or, just wear one for the duration. Again, I know this is a matter of preference, but just wondering what others do.
    • Don Amundson
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
        I'm a little confused.  Are you talking about pants or shorts? I normally have one pair of convertible nylon pants and two pair of synthetic briefs.  It's hard to imagine much stench happening in your pants.  Shorts with a built in liner yes, briefs yes. But then again we are all different.  A couple drops of Bonner's soap in plastic bag with some water and your foul smelling cloths should solve that problem.  Or use the washer/dryer at Red's Meadow and/or VVR if you stop there.

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: will_cef_1@...
        Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:48:06 +0000
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Really stupid question regarding clothes for JMT!!

[...]

      • Dale Stuart
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
          I am going with just one pair of convertible (zip leg) shorts.  Want the legging part in case things get too buggy.  If I take a swim they will get rinsed out, sorta.  :) happy

          Dale Stuart
          onetwolaugh@...

        • jmaddog1082@charter.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
            For me, one pair of convertible nylon shorts/pants and another pair of shorts.

            From: "nawlunz" <will_cef_1@...>
            Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:48:06 -0000
            To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          • Stephen
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
              In 2009 I wore one pair of REI Sahara zip-off pants for a 15-day JMT. I washed them I think twice in a waterproof OR bag that doubled as a ditty bag (used Dr. Bronner's like many other people). I did take along two pairs of Ex Officio briefs which I washed every couple days. They were always dry in the morning.

              If you're worried about washing in a crowded camping area, just wear a pair of wind pants! They help a lot in other situations too.

              If you need more feedback regarding clothing, feel free to email me off the list, and I'll tell you what worked for me.

              Stephen

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Dale Stuart <onetwolaugh@...> wrote:

              > I am going with just one pair of convertible (zip leg) shorts.  Want the legging part in case things get too buggy.  If I take a swim they will get rinsed out, sorta.
              >
              > Dale Stuart
              > onetwolaugh@...

            • whiplash.hiker
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
                nawlunz:
                I wear one pair of nylon cargo shorts and carry one pair of wind pants. I wear one pair of merino wool briefs. I just wash all when needed with Dr. Bonner's.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, jmaddog1082@... wrote:

                > For me, one pair of convertible nylon shorts/pants and another pair of shorts.
              • robert shattuck
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
                  Stench is your friend. keeps the critters away. I have always brought a pair of zip-off pants, but never get around to wearing the lower half and should I be so cold, I can always just use my lightweight poly long johns, that I sleep in.

                  There are so many spots where you can drench your stinky self and without soaping up the environment, keep yourself in a fine mountain-man perfumed sort of state.

                  I say bring the zips and if you really need long pants, there they are, but don't bring more than one pair.

                  Even if I bring two pairs of poly-underwear, I just don't see the need to break out the second pair . . . they're just extra weight (although minimal)

                  I do bring three pairs of socks though.

                  I can say that the only place you might like to have a complete change of clothes is when you get to the end of the trail and to that end, I say, there's always the portal and lone pine to buy a fresh shirt or two, not to mention underwear and so on.

                  Even though the first task on my list (aside from the gin & tonic fixin's) once I get to LP is to head to the laundromat, I still buy a fresh t-shirt, underwear and whatever else I might need. This past summer it was a new pair of shorts as I'd shredded my steady pair of the last six or so JMT's . . .

                  You can bring multiple pairs of everything and my bet is you're still going to stink and reek them up, no matter how many times you try to wash them, while you are on the trail. Face it––you're going to sweat a lot and if you have more than one or two pairs of anything, that's just that much more weight and stench you have to deal with.

                  BOB

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                  From: will_cef_1@...
                  Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:48:06 +0000

[...]

                • Kim Fishburn
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
                    If you're worried about washing in a crowded camping area, just wear a pair of wind pants!

                    I washed my underwear at Little Yosemite Valley and laid them out on a log to dry. The next morning I found a bears paw print on them.
                  • Barbara Karagosian
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
                      1 pair zipoff nylon pants for hiking.
                      1 pr rainpants (golite Tumulo), wear these when I wash the nylon ones at Refs or VVR or MTR.
                      I pr capilene 2 underwear for sleeping in and extra layer if needed.

                      No need for 2 prs nylon, I don't think.

                       Barbara

[...]

                    • Ben Last
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
                        Last year I started my hike from YV on june 28th. There was a lot of snow on the trail. I just used one pair of nylon zip off pants. They converted to shorts which is how I wore them most of the trip. I did get off trail a few times to wash them but they held up great for me.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 27, 2011
                          I wear the same clothes the whole time no extra. I do take a change of undies and socks. For one week trips I just let my clothes gather the aura of the Sierra. For longer trips I may rinse them out a time or two.

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "nawlunz" <will_cef_1@...> wrote:

                          > Again, really apologize for this question which some may consider "stupid" and others just a matter of personal preference. But, I am looking at EVERYTHING in my pack regarding weight. Last year, I did an 8 day segment in the Sierras, and felt I was just carrying too much...I struggled on some passes. This year, I plan to do the entire JMT and nothing will go without serious review of it's use in my pack. So, my question has to do with clothes, and in particular pants. I am wondering if I can get by with one pair of lightweight nylon for the 18 days, or do others generally pack two lightweight pairs? I ask this because last year I found over the 8 days I wore the same shorts daily...yes, they had a little stench at the end of the trip, but served me well.
                          >
                          > So, what do others do....pack an extra pair of pants and wear one? Or, just wear one for the duration. Again, I know this is a matter of preference, but just wondering what others do.

                        • judithsmcguire
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 28, 2011
                            Last year I, like almost everybody else, wore/brought one pair of convertible zipoff pants (mostly in the shorts mode). But I took a "dip" every day -- rinsed off in all my clothes in a stream, lake, or swimming hole in a river (no soap)(August 23-Sept. 12, water was cold but survivable). That made a huge difference.

                            You don't want to sleep in your hiking clothes. I slept in long johns.

                            I did a laundry at each resupply (Mammoth lakes, MTR, Independence via Kearsarge Pass). I also sent to the Dow some clean clothes for the trip home to give my fellow travelers a break.

                            Judo

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "nawlunz" <will_cef_1@...> wrote:

                            > Again, really apologize for this question which some may consider "stupid" and others just a matter of personal preference. But, I am looking at EVERYTHING in my pack regarding weight. Last year, I did an 8 day segment in the Sierras, and felt I was just carrying too much...I struggled on some passes. This year, I plan to do the entire JMT and nothing will go without serious review of it's use in my pack. So, my question has to do with clothes, and in particular pants. I am wondering if I can get by with one pair of lightweight nylon for the 18 days, or do others generally pack two lightweight pairs? I ask this because last year I found over the 8 days I wore the same shorts daily...yes, they had a little stench at the end of the trip, but served me well.
                            >
                            > So, what do others do....pack an extra pair of pants and wear one? Or, just wear one for the duration. Again, I know this is a matter of preference, but just wondering what others do.

                          • Peter Burke
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 28, 2011
                              On 2/28/2011 8:37 AM, judithsmcguire wrote:
                              > I did a laundry at each resupply (Mammoth lakes, MTR, Independence via Kearsarge Pass). I also sent to the Dow some clean clothes for the trip home to give my fellow travelers a break.

                              FYI - Reds Meadow and VVR have coin operated washing machine and dryer
                              set up. We always wash most of our stuff when we get past those locations.
                            • Peter Rattenbury
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 28, 2011

                                John,

                                I used TM as a re-supply point but made the mistake of assuming that couriers [ Fed Ex , UPS ] delivered to TM .. They don’t.      Because I am overseas, I ordered my food through REI and asked them to deliver to TM.   It never made it, and the guy at the TM post office explained this was because the couriers do not deliver within national parks.  Fortunately there is a reasonable supply of trail food at the  TM shop… and yes REI did refund my order…

                                PeterR

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 28, 2011
                                  If you stay at MTR, they have a laundry facility too.

                                • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 28, 2011
                                    Say Roleigh "Stay there" is renting a cabin with them not camping up the trail from them right.

                                    From: Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
                                    Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:38:46 -0500
                                    To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 28, 2011
                                      That's right!

                                       Barbara

                                      From: Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
                                      Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:38:46 -0500

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 28, 2011
                                        yes, you have to be paying for a short-stay at least.

                                        On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM, <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

                                        Say Roleigh "Stay there" is renting a cabin with them not camping up the trail from them right.

                                      • Bronco
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 1, 2011
                                          There are no stupid questions. I wear nylon, vented Rail Riders long pants and long sleeves to avoid carrying a bucket of sunscreen and to stay clean. Ex Oficio anti-crotch-scum undershorts (2) are odor free for several days w/o washing. I carry shorts for swimming, hot springs, etc.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 6, 2011
                                            For me, just to be complete:

                                            ex-officio briefs with 1-2 spares
                                            baselayer top and bottom (usually Capilene 2)
                                            runner's shorts to wear over the baselayer bottoms (for modesty?)
                                            cap with sun flap
                                            fingerless carpenters work gloves for hiking
                                            liner socks (at least 2 spares)
                                            hiking socks (at least 3 spares)
                                            mid- or low gaiters
                                            boots
                                            loud whistle
                                            sunglasses

                                            No spares, except as noted.

                                            I don't bring pants or shirt - I just hike in the baselayer on the JMT because there's no brush where you need the abrasion resistance - baselayer works fine.  In hot weather, I drench the baselayer in water at each stream and the evaporation keeps me cool for the next few miles.

                                            Supplement with:

                                            second baselayer top and bottom for use in sleeping bag and as an extra layer in case of cold (preferably well-worn-very-thin silk) - when the baselayer is all sweaty at day's end, it's great to change into a different, dry baselayer
                                            light balaclava
                                            wind-resistant fleece cap
                                            appropriate-weight fleece midlayer for cold - top and bottom - wear nights and mornings and wear in the bag on cold nights - I prefer it to down
                                            Marmot original windshirt
                                            good raingear (use as an outer layer for for cold also)
                                            competition swim suit to wear for modesty while washing anything else (or swimming)
                                            liner gloves for warmth
                                            waterproof mittens

                                            Pics of things that aren't self-explanatory

                                            marmotoriginal. windshirtjpg.jpg

                                            balaclava.jpg

                                            Fingerless gloves.jpg
                                            fleece.jpg