RE: [John Muir Trail] camping option

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2011
      "What is the closest camping option near the Jmt/half Dome trailhead? I would like to camp beyond Little Yosemite Valley Campground."

      if you hit the Half Dome junction late in the day and don't want to go too much farther, then maybe about 15 minutes past the junction, you can find some nice spots off to the right of the trail––but there's no water, so you should have what you need. Maybe another 10-15 minutes past that and you'll hit water and a few more spots. There's no signage for any of these spots, so you have to keep watching for the spots or people . . . if you've got enough water and time, I'd head up even further until you have a nice view of the Moraine Domes.

      Of course, if you've hit LYV in the morning and just want to keep going, you can shoot for Sunrise, but there are some fine spots between the two. there's the junction at Merced Lake . . . then another three or four spots as you begin (or continue) climbing, but once you get into the switchbacks you pretty much have to just keep going until you top-out above Sunrise . . . this is a great place to stay for, but again, no water, so come prepared.

      once you get past the HD junction there are roughly 2-3 spots where the trail crosses streams . . . I'd tank up each time you hit one. There are also about three other crossings that you'll come to that are some years dry and some years not, as well as a nice trickle that runs dow, the right side of the trail, once you get up into the switch-backs . . . and sometimes it's singing and other times not.

      My personal experience again says, drink up and fill up whenever you hit water on this section.

      Bob