Start N-S hike in late June?

  • benchcompton
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2006
      Hello,
      I am interested in doing a N-S thru hike of the JMT starting in late
      June of this year. While I have some backpacking experience (350mi of
      the AT last summer), I am not experienced with winter hiking. Could
      anyone tell me what kind of winter obstacles might be a problem for a
      hike starting in late June?

      Thanks very much,
      Ryan
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2006
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "benchcompton"
        <benchcompton@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am interested in doing a N-S thru hike of the JMT starting in late
        > June of this year. While I have some backpacking experience (350mi of
        > the AT last summer), I am not experienced with winter hiking. Could
        > anyone tell me what kind of winter obstacles might be a problem for a
        > hike starting in late June?
        >
        > Thanks very much,
        > Ryan

        Really depends on just how late. Read through the past months Posts a
        bit.

        I think as of last weekend snowlevel was at 7200'. We had some
        rainfall in the Bay Area last weekend which usually translates to snow
        in the Sierra. There still is no projected opening for Tioga Pass Road.

        In late June you will have significant snow on many if not all of the
        passes. You will have many dangerous stream crossings.

        These obstacles can be overcome. However you don't want to do the JMT
        when the trail itself is snowbound. Snowshoeing is fun but not for
        190 miles. If it is at all possible shot for about July 10th start.

        Keep checking back to see how the snowmelt is progressing.

      • JDRows
        Message 3 of 3 , May 23, 2006
          Ryan
          We're NORTH of the Equator, June is Summer for us here.

          Should you encounter residual snow, have a good idea where the next
          trail junction is and if you don't find it within a reasonable amount of
          time, backtrack. If on snow, get an early start and move fast before it
          becomes sloshy in the mid-day.

          Enjoy
          JD