Re: What a Year it is!!

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2006
      Prapanna, to add to that report ... the Sierra streams and rivers
      have been flowing at record (or near record) levels for the first
      two weeks of May. And record temperatures are forecast for next
      week. From the Mammoth forecast- Sat, May 13, 2006 :

      http://64.29.226.243/dweebprinter.htm
      "RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECASTED FOR ALL OF MONO AND INYO
      COUNTIES BEGINNING SUNDAY THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK......THE
      MAY THAW CONTINUES ......RIVERS AND CREEKS ARE ON THE RISE.....BE
      EXTREEMLY CAREFULL AROUND THE WALKER RIVER!"

      Yosemite Valley is forecast to be in the high 80s (maybe 90!) next
      week.

      With the warm weather, snow levels in the Yosemite / Mammoth area
      are already below 2005 levels for mid-May - and significantly below
      1998 levels (the last huge snow year).

      As an aside: The Sentinel Dome live cam has stopped working. The
      cam provides an excellent view of Clouds Rest out to Cathedral
      Peak. Hopefully it will be back online as soon as the road to
      Glacier Point is plowed.

      Here is the live cam for Yosemite Valley:
      http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/AhwahneeMeadowCam.htm

      Great hiking to all,
      Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
      wrote:

      > Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the
      latest
      > DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:
      >
      > http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf
      >
      > It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers
      this
      > year.
      >
      > Prapanna
      > JMT 2005
    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2006
        Actually, for myself this is good news. I plan to hike up along the
        Merced River in mid-June. I count
        at least 14 waterfall between Little Yosemite Valley and the Red Peak
        Fork. Should be spectacular
        up there this year. I do hope everyone is careful this year. With
        this rapid melt it will be very dangerous
        on some crossings.

        On May 14, 2006, at 10:00 AM, dive_hike wrote:

        > Prapanna, to add to that report ... the Sierra streams and rivers
        > have been flowing at record (or near record) levels for the first
        > two weeks of May. And record temperatures are forecast for next
        > week. From the Mammoth forecast- Sat, May 13, 2006 :
        >
        > http://64.29.226.243/dweebprinter.htm
        > "RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECASTED FOR ALL OF MONO AND INYO
        > COUNTIES BEGINNING SUNDAY THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK......THE
        > MAY THAW CONTINUES ......RIVERS AND CREEKS ARE ON THE RISE.....BE
        > EXTREEMLY CAREFULL AROUND THE WALKER RIVER!"
        >
        > Yosemite Valley is forecast to be in the high 80s (maybe 90!) next
        > week.
        >
        > With the warm weather, snow levels in the Yosemite / Mammoth area
        > are already below 2005 levels for mid-May - and significantly below
        > 1998 levels (the last huge snow year).
        >
        > As an aside: The Sentinel Dome live cam has stopped working. The
        > cam provides an excellent view of Clouds Rest out to Cathedral
        > Peak. Hopefully it will be back online as soon as the road to
        > Glacier Point is plowed.
        >
        > Here is the live cam for Yosemite Valley:
        > http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/AhwahneeMeadowCam.htm
        >
        > Great hiking to all,
        > Bill
        >

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the
        > latest
        > > DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:
        > >
        > > http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf
        > >
        > > It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers
        > this
        > > year.
        > >
        > > Prapanna
        > > JMT 2005

        > High sierra sport High sierras John muir trail
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      • dive_hike
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
          Human Remains Found May Be Those Of Missing Hiker
          http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_155220742.html

          (CBS) IDYLLWILD, Calif. Human remains were found on Mount San
          Jacinto Sunday and were believed to be those of a male hiker missing
          for over a year.

          John Donovan, 60, of Virginia, was reported missing on the Pacific
          Crest Trail in May 2005.

          With the recent hot weather melting snow and ice off Mount San
          Jacinto, about 15 volunteers, two Riverside County Sheriff's
          Department search dogs and a helicopter searched Sunday near where
          the backpack was found, Zamora said.

          They discovered the remains of a human body, believed to be
          Donovan's, about 100 yards from where the backpack was found, Zamora
          said.

          The remains were turned over to the Riverside County coroner, he
          said.