What a Year it is!!

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2006
      Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the latest
      DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:

      http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf

      It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers this
      year.

      Prapanna
      JMT 2005

      SUMMARY OF WATER CONDITIONS
      May 1, 2006
      April continued the cool and wet pattern which began in March with about
      three times average precipitation in many watersheds. Instead of
      melting,
      the snowpack actually increased about 20 percent. Most rivers in
      northern
      and central California ran high during April with some flooding. Water
      supplies for the year are ample; the problem for many is how to
      handle the
      excess.
      Forecasts of April through July runoff are 180 percent of average, which
      would make 2006 the 9th wettest runoff year in the record. Forecasts of
      water year runoff are also very high at about 165 percent of average.
      Snowpack water content on May 1 is about 185 percent of average for the
      date and 145 percent of the April 1 average, which is the normal date of
      maximum accumulation. Last year the snowpack on May 1 was 150 percent
      of average.
      Precipitation from October through April was about 140 percent of
      average
      compared to 135 percent one year ago. The range is from nearly 50
      percent in the dry Colorado River region to over 150 percent in several
      northern California regions. April statewide precipitation was 250
      percent of
      average.
      Runoff has been about 170 percent of average so far this season compared
      to 80 percent last year. Runoff during April was 240 percent of
      average.
      Estimated runoff of the 8 major rivers of the Sacramento and San Joaquin
      River regions was 8.5 million acre-feet during April.
      Reservoir storage continues to be excellent at about 115 percent of
      average
      compared to 105 percent last year. About 85 percent of total
      capacity was
      being used on May 1 with most of the leftover space anticipated to
      fill during
      the snowmelt season.

    • dive_hike
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2006
        Prapanna, to add to that report ... the Sierra streams and rivers
        have been flowing at record (or near record) levels for the first
        two weeks of May. And record temperatures are forecast for next
        week. From the Mammoth forecast- Sat, May 13, 2006 :

        http://64.29.226.243/dweebprinter.htm
        "RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECASTED FOR ALL OF MONO AND INYO
        COUNTIES BEGINNING SUNDAY THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK......THE
        MAY THAW CONTINUES ......RIVERS AND CREEKS ARE ON THE RISE.....BE
        EXTREEMLY CAREFULL AROUND THE WALKER RIVER!"

        Yosemite Valley is forecast to be in the high 80s (maybe 90!) next
        week.

        With the warm weather, snow levels in the Yosemite / Mammoth area
        are already below 2005 levels for mid-May - and significantly below
        1998 levels (the last huge snow year).

        As an aside: The Sentinel Dome live cam has stopped working. The
        cam provides an excellent view of Clouds Rest out to Cathedral
        Peak. Hopefully it will be back online as soon as the road to
        Glacier Point is plowed.

        Here is the live cam for Yosemite Valley:
        http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/AhwahneeMeadowCam.htm

        Great hiking to all,
        Bill

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
        wrote:

        > Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the
        latest
        > DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:
        >
        > http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf
        >
        > It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers
        this
        > year.
        >
        > Prapanna
        > JMT 2005
      • Prapanna Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2006
          Actually, for myself this is good news. I plan to hike up along the
          Merced River in mid-June. I count
          at least 14 waterfall between Little Yosemite Valley and the Red Peak
          Fork. Should be spectacular
          up there this year. I do hope everyone is careful this year. With
          this rapid melt it will be very dangerous
          on some crossings.

          On May 14, 2006, at 10:00 AM, dive_hike wrote:

          > Prapanna, to add to that report ... the Sierra streams and rivers
          > have been flowing at record (or near record) levels for the first
          > two weeks of May. And record temperatures are forecast for next
          > week. From the Mammoth forecast- Sat, May 13, 2006 :
          >
          > http://64.29.226.243/dweebprinter.htm
          > "RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECASTED FOR ALL OF MONO AND INYO
          > COUNTIES BEGINNING SUNDAY THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK......THE
          > MAY THAW CONTINUES ......RIVERS AND CREEKS ARE ON THE RISE.....BE
          > EXTREEMLY CAREFULL AROUND THE WALKER RIVER!"
          >
          > Yosemite Valley is forecast to be in the high 80s (maybe 90!) next
          > week.
          >
          > With the warm weather, snow levels in the Yosemite / Mammoth area
          > are already below 2005 levels for mid-May - and significantly below
          > 1998 levels (the last huge snow year).
          >
          > As an aside: The Sentinel Dome live cam has stopped working. The
          > cam provides an excellent view of Clouds Rest out to Cathedral
          > Peak. Hopefully it will be back online as soon as the road to
          > Glacier Point is plowed.
          >
          > Here is the live cam for Yosemite Valley:
          > http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/AhwahneeMeadowCam.htm
          >
          > Great hiking to all,
          > Bill
          >

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the
          > latest
          > > DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:
          > >
          > > http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf
          > >
          > > It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers
          > this
          > > year.
          > >
          > > Prapanna
          > > JMT 2005

          > High sierra sport High sierras John muir trail
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

        • dive_hike
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
            Human Remains Found May Be Those Of Missing Hiker
            http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_155220742.html

            (CBS) IDYLLWILD, Calif. Human remains were found on Mount San
            Jacinto Sunday and were believed to be those of a male hiker missing
            for over a year.

            John Donovan, 60, of Virginia, was reported missing on the Pacific
            Crest Trail in May 2005.

            With the recent hot weather melting snow and ice off Mount San
            Jacinto, about 15 volunteers, two Riverside County Sheriff's
            Department search dogs and a helicopter searched Sunday near where
            the backpack was found, Zamora said.

            They discovered the remains of a human body, believed to be
            Donovan's, about 100 yards from where the backpack was found, Zamora
            said.

            The remains were turned over to the Riverside County coroner, he
            said.