Re: [John Muir Trail] John Donovan's Campsite Found

  • Vera Hurst
    Message 1 of 7 , May 11, 2006
      Frank please keep us posted on other news concerning John please..
      vera

      Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

      A lot of us were following this story last year

      http://tinyurl.com/mehy4

      High sierra sport High sierras John muir trail

    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2006
        Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the latest
        DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:

        http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf

        It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers this
        year.

        Prapanna
        JMT 2005

        SUMMARY OF WATER CONDITIONS
        May 1, 2006
        April continued the cool and wet pattern which began in March with about
        three times average precipitation in many watersheds. Instead of
        melting,
        the snowpack actually increased about 20 percent. Most rivers in
        northern
        and central California ran high during April with some flooding. Water
        supplies for the year are ample; the problem for many is how to
        handle the
        excess.
        Forecasts of April through July runoff are 180 percent of average, which
        would make 2006 the 9th wettest runoff year in the record. Forecasts of
        water year runoff are also very high at about 165 percent of average.
        Snowpack water content on May 1 is about 185 percent of average for the
        date and 145 percent of the April 1 average, which is the normal date of
        maximum accumulation. Last year the snowpack on May 1 was 150 percent
        of average.
        Precipitation from October through April was about 140 percent of
        average
        compared to 135 percent one year ago. The range is from nearly 50
        percent in the dry Colorado River region to over 150 percent in several
        northern California regions. April statewide precipitation was 250
        percent of
        average.
        Runoff has been about 170 percent of average so far this season compared
        to 80 percent last year. Runoff during April was 240 percent of
        average.
        Estimated runoff of the 8 major rivers of the Sacramento and San Joaquin
        River regions was 8.5 million acre-feet during April.
        Reservoir storage continues to be excellent at about 115 percent of
        average
        compared to 105 percent last year. About 85 percent of total
        capacity was
        being used on May 1 with most of the leftover space anticipated to
        fill during
        the snowmelt season.

      • dive_hike
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2006
          Prapanna, to add to that report ... the Sierra streams and rivers
          have been flowing at record (or near record) levels for the first
          two weeks of May. And record temperatures are forecast for next
          week. From the Mammoth forecast- Sat, May 13, 2006 :

          http://64.29.226.243/dweebprinter.htm
          "RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECASTED FOR ALL OF MONO AND INYO
          COUNTIES BEGINNING SUNDAY THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK......THE
          MAY THAW CONTINUES ......RIVERS AND CREEKS ARE ON THE RISE.....BE
          EXTREEMLY CAREFULL AROUND THE WALKER RIVER!"

          Yosemite Valley is forecast to be in the high 80s (maybe 90!) next
          week.

          With the warm weather, snow levels in the Yosemite / Mammoth area
          are already below 2005 levels for mid-May - and significantly below
          1998 levels (the last huge snow year).

          As an aside: The Sentinel Dome live cam has stopped working. The
          cam provides an excellent view of Clouds Rest out to Cathedral
          Peak. Hopefully it will be back online as soon as the road to
          Glacier Point is plowed.

          Here is the live cam for Yosemite Valley:
          http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/AhwahneeMeadowCam.htm

          Great hiking to all,
          Bill

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
          wrote:

          > Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the
          latest
          > DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:
          >
          > http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf
          >
          > It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers
          this
          > year.
          >
          > Prapanna
          > JMT 2005
        • Prapanna Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2006
            Actually, for myself this is good news. I plan to hike up along the
            Merced River in mid-June. I count
            at least 14 waterfall between Little Yosemite Valley and the Red Peak
            Fork. Should be spectacular
            up there this year. I do hope everyone is careful this year. With
            this rapid melt it will be very dangerous
            on some crossings.

            On May 14, 2006, at 10:00 AM, dive_hike wrote:

            > Prapanna, to add to that report ... the Sierra streams and rivers
            > have been flowing at record (or near record) levels for the first
            > two weeks of May. And record temperatures are forecast for next
            > week. From the Mammoth forecast- Sat, May 13, 2006 :
            >
            > http://64.29.226.243/dweebprinter.htm
            > "RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECASTED FOR ALL OF MONO AND INYO
            > COUNTIES BEGINNING SUNDAY THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK......THE
            > MAY THAW CONTINUES ......RIVERS AND CREEKS ARE ON THE RISE.....BE
            > EXTREEMLY CAREFULL AROUND THE WALKER RIVER!"
            >
            > Yosemite Valley is forecast to be in the high 80s (maybe 90!) next
            > week.
            >
            > With the warm weather, snow levels in the Yosemite / Mammoth area
            > are already below 2005 levels for mid-May - and significantly below
            > 1998 levels (the last huge snow year).
            >
            > As an aside: The Sentinel Dome live cam has stopped working. The
            > cam provides an excellent view of Clouds Rest out to Cathedral
            > Peak. Hopefully it will be back online as soon as the road to
            > Glacier Point is plowed.
            >
            > Here is the live cam for Yosemite Valley:
            > http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/AhwahneeMeadowCam.htm
            >
            > Great hiking to all,
            > Bill
            >

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the
            > latest
            > > DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:
            > >
            > > http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf
            > >
            > > It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers
            > this
            > > year.
            > >
            > > Prapanna
            > > JMT 2005

            > High sierra sport High sierras John muir trail
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

          • dive_hike
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
              Human Remains Found May Be Those Of Missing Hiker
              http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_155220742.html

              (CBS) IDYLLWILD, Calif. Human remains were found on Mount San
              Jacinto Sunday and were believed to be those of a male hiker missing
              for over a year.

              John Donovan, 60, of Virginia, was reported missing on the Pacific
              Crest Trail in May 2005.

              With the recent hot weather melting snow and ice off Mount San
              Jacinto, about 15 volunteers, two Riverside County Sheriff's
              Department search dogs and a helicopter searched Sunday near where
              the backpack was found, Zamora said.

              They discovered the remains of a human body, believed to be
              Donovan's, about 100 yards from where the backpack was found, Zamora
              said.

              The remains were turned over to the Riverside County coroner, he
              said.