Re: John Donovan's Campsite Found

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2006
      Frank, here is another article with more information:

      http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
      AID=/20060510/NEWS01/605100326/1006

      "The couple was found about 9:30 a.m. about three to four miles from
      the tramway, in an area of Tahquitz Canyon near the Long Valley
      drainage area, officials said."

      I've camped in that canyon. Its on the other side of San Jacinto
      from the PCT. With the heavy snow last year, Mr. Donovan must have
      taken a wrong turn near Saddle Junction. Very sad. At least there
      is good news for these two hikers.

      Best to all.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
      wrote:

      > A lot of us were following this story last year
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/mehy4

    • Vera Hurst
      Message 2 of 7 , May 11, 2006
        Frank please keep us posted on other news concerning John please..
        vera

        Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

        A lot of us were following this story last year

        http://tinyurl.com/mehy4

        High sierra sport High sierras John muir trail

      • Prapanna Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2006
          Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the latest
          DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:

          http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf

          It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers this
          year.

          Prapanna
          JMT 2005

          SUMMARY OF WATER CONDITIONS
          May 1, 2006
          April continued the cool and wet pattern which began in March with about
          three times average precipitation in many watersheds. Instead of
          melting,
          the snowpack actually increased about 20 percent. Most rivers in
          northern
          and central California ran high during April with some flooding. Water
          supplies for the year are ample; the problem for many is how to
          handle the
          excess.
          Forecasts of April through July runoff are 180 percent of average, which
          would make 2006 the 9th wettest runoff year in the record. Forecasts of
          water year runoff are also very high at about 165 percent of average.
          Snowpack water content on May 1 is about 185 percent of average for the
          date and 145 percent of the April 1 average, which is the normal date of
          maximum accumulation. Last year the snowpack on May 1 was 150 percent
          of average.
          Precipitation from October through April was about 140 percent of
          average
          compared to 135 percent one year ago. The range is from nearly 50
          percent in the dry Colorado River region to over 150 percent in several
          northern California regions. April statewide precipitation was 250
          percent of
          average.
          Runoff has been about 170 percent of average so far this season compared
          to 80 percent last year. Runoff during April was 240 percent of
          average.
          Estimated runoff of the 8 major rivers of the Sacramento and San Joaquin
          River regions was 8.5 million acre-feet during April.
          Reservoir storage continues to be excellent at about 115 percent of
          average
          compared to 105 percent last year. About 85 percent of total
          capacity was
          being used on May 1 with most of the leftover space anticipated to
          fill during
          the snowmelt season.

        • dive_hike
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2006
            Prapanna, to add to that report ... the Sierra streams and rivers
            have been flowing at record (or near record) levels for the first
            two weeks of May. And record temperatures are forecast for next
            week. From the Mammoth forecast- Sat, May 13, 2006 :

            http://64.29.226.243/dweebprinter.htm
            "RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECASTED FOR ALL OF MONO AND INYO
            COUNTIES BEGINNING SUNDAY THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK......THE
            MAY THAW CONTINUES ......RIVERS AND CREEKS ARE ON THE RISE.....BE
            EXTREEMLY CAREFULL AROUND THE WALKER RIVER!"

            Yosemite Valley is forecast to be in the high 80s (maybe 90!) next
            week.

            With the warm weather, snow levels in the Yosemite / Mammoth area
            are already below 2005 levels for mid-May - and significantly below
            1998 levels (the last huge snow year).

            As an aside: The Sentinel Dome live cam has stopped working. The
            cam provides an excellent view of Clouds Rest out to Cathedral
            Peak. Hopefully it will be back online as soon as the road to
            Glacier Point is plowed.

            Here is the live cam for Yosemite Valley:
            http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/AhwahneeMeadowCam.htm

            Great hiking to all,
            Bill

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
            wrote:

            > Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the
            latest
            > DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:
            >
            > http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf
            >
            > It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers
            this
            > year.
            >
            > Prapanna
            > JMT 2005
          • Prapanna Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2006
              Actually, for myself this is good news. I plan to hike up along the
              Merced River in mid-June. I count
              at least 14 waterfall between Little Yosemite Valley and the Red Peak
              Fork. Should be spectacular
              up there this year. I do hope everyone is careful this year. With
              this rapid melt it will be very dangerous
              on some crossings.

              On May 14, 2006, at 10:00 AM, dive_hike wrote:

              > Prapanna, to add to that report ... the Sierra streams and rivers
              > have been flowing at record (or near record) levels for the first
              > two weeks of May. And record temperatures are forecast for next
              > week. From the Mammoth forecast- Sat, May 13, 2006 :
              >
              > http://64.29.226.243/dweebprinter.htm
              > "RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ARE FORECASTED FOR ALL OF MONO AND INYO
              > COUNTIES BEGINNING SUNDAY THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK......THE
              > MAY THAW CONTINUES ......RIVERS AND CREEKS ARE ON THE RISE.....BE
              > EXTREEMLY CAREFULL AROUND THE WALKER RIVER!"
              >
              > Yosemite Valley is forecast to be in the high 80s (maybe 90!) next
              > week.
              >
              > With the warm weather, snow levels in the Yosemite / Mammoth area
              > are already below 2005 levels for mid-May - and significantly below
              > 1998 levels (the last huge snow year).
              >
              > As an aside: The Sentinel Dome live cam has stopped working. The
              > cam provides an excellent view of Clouds Rest out to Cathedral
              > Peak. Hopefully it will be back online as soon as the road to
              > Glacier Point is plowed.
              >
              > Here is the live cam for Yosemite Valley:
              > http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/AhwahneeMeadowCam.htm
              >
              > Great hiking to all,
              > Bill
              >

              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Well, we thought last year was intense! Check this out from the
              > latest
              > > DWR Bulletin 120. You can download the entire report at:
              > >
              > > http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snow/bulletin120/b120may06.pdf
              > >
              > > It's going to be quite an adventure for the PCT and JMT hikers
              > this
              > > year.
              > >
              > > Prapanna
              > > JMT 2005

              > High sierra sport High sierras John muir trail
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

            • dive_hike
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
                Human Remains Found May Be Those Of Missing Hiker
                http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_155220742.html

                (CBS) IDYLLWILD, Calif. Human remains were found on Mount San
                Jacinto Sunday and were believed to be those of a male hiker missing
                for over a year.

                John Donovan, 60, of Virginia, was reported missing on the Pacific
                Crest Trail in May 2005.

                With the recent hot weather melting snow and ice off Mount San
                Jacinto, about 15 volunteers, two Riverside County Sheriff's
                Department search dogs and a helicopter searched Sunday near where
                the backpack was found, Zamora said.

                They discovered the remains of a human body, believed to be
                Donovan's, about 100 yards from where the backpack was found, Zamora
                said.

                The remains were turned over to the Riverside County coroner, he
                said.