Re: [John Muir Trail] File: Permit Trailhead Options

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2011
      That is the whole idea of that option, is to hook up with the JMT and head south towards Whitney Portal.  My friend who got this permit said the ranger said that you could not camp anywhere on the JMT that first night, not even LYV or past Clouds Rest Junction, so that route forces you to only do about a 4-5 mile day forcing you to camp short of the Panorama Trail.  When you get your permit, find out from the Ranger just exactly where you can camp that gives you the longest walk towards doing the JMT.

      These three alternative options were researched by me or friends of mine this year.  The traditional top three choices are being denied so many permit reserve applicants.  It forces one to think of alternatives.

      On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM, krj5683 <krj5683@...> wrote:
        I was looking through some of the files and read up on the trailhead information in this file.  Nice work!  I am faxing out my permit later this week for a thru hike and one option given in this file is starting from Mono Meadows.  Your first day would be a low mileage day camping at illilouette Ridge setting yourself up to head down into the valley via the Panorama Trail.  One reason to try out this option is because the trailhead quota is larger and easier to optain than some others that are more well known.

      I have also noticed that one could get a permit out of Glacier Point and head into Illilouette. Could you hang out there for night one and then head down the Panorama Trail into the valley to hook up with the JMT and head south?  The quota for Glacier Point to illilouette is 18 reservable and 12 walk-in, so it would be an easy permit to obtain IMO.

      Is this possible to do and perhaps another valid possible starting TH for the JMT? Or am I missing something?
        Thanks for any clarification.
       Schnikel

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional