Re: [John Muir Trail] Digest Number 270

  • tubirrb
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2006
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
      wrote:

      > I've never done it but you might take a look at the Tahoe Rim Trail.
      > That is if your focus is in CA.
      >
      > The max elevation is about 8500'. We are having a early melt might
      be
      > doable. maybe someone here can tell you better than I.
      >
      > Good luck

      =====================

      I through-hiked the TRT as part of the official grand opening of the
      trail in September of 2000. It's a fabulous trail, actually a loop
      hike of 165 miles, with a total gain and loss of 32,156 feet. It can
      be done in as few as 9 days, but 14 is more the norm. June could
      be "iffy" given the record snows in hte Tahoe area this year.

      The maximum elevation is 10,338 feet at Relay Peak; the minimum is
      Tahoe city at about 5,600 feet. You also have to clear Freel Peak at
      9880 feet and Dick's Pass at 9,579 feet. In fact, most of this hike is
      above 8000 feet.

      About 40 miles of it coincide with the PCT from 3 miles north of
      Carson Pass, through the Desolation Wilderness, to the Granite Chief
      Wilderness, where the TRT heads NE into Tahoe City while the PCT
      continues north to I-80 at Donner Pass.

      For more info, see the Tahoe Rim Trail Association site at
      http://www.tahoerimtrail.org They'll have good info on the current
      and expected snow conditions. Your best access is probably through
      Reno with a bus to and from South Lake Tahoe. Start and end at Echo
      Summit (Echo Lake Resort) on highway 50. Some of the SLT motels offer
      free shuttle services to hikers.

      Wandering Bob