Re: [John Muir Trail] Digest Number 270

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2006
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Tim Spring <tim_spring@...> wrote:

      > It looks like I need to focus on another trail in my time 'window',
      which is pretty much the month of JUNE.

      > Any suggestions?

      I've never done it but you might take a look at the Tahoe Rim Trail.
      That is if your focus is in CA.

      The max elevation is about 8500'. We are having a early melt might be
      doable. maybe someone here can tell you better than I.

      Good luck

    • tubirrb
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2006
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
        wrote:

        > I've never done it but you might take a look at the Tahoe Rim Trail.
        > That is if your focus is in CA.
        >
        > The max elevation is about 8500'. We are having a early melt might
        be
        > doable. maybe someone here can tell you better than I.
        >
        > Good luck

        =====================

        I through-hiked the TRT as part of the official grand opening of the
        trail in September of 2000. It's a fabulous trail, actually a loop
        hike of 165 miles, with a total gain and loss of 32,156 feet. It can
        be done in as few as 9 days, but 14 is more the norm. June could
        be "iffy" given the record snows in hte Tahoe area this year.

        The maximum elevation is 10,338 feet at Relay Peak; the minimum is
        Tahoe city at about 5,600 feet. You also have to clear Freel Peak at
        9880 feet and Dick's Pass at 9,579 feet. In fact, most of this hike is
        above 8000 feet.

        About 40 miles of it coincide with the PCT from 3 miles north of
        Carson Pass, through the Desolation Wilderness, to the Granite Chief
        Wilderness, where the TRT heads NE into Tahoe City while the PCT
        continues north to I-80 at Donner Pass.

        For more info, see the Tahoe Rim Trail Association site at
        http://www.tahoerimtrail.org They'll have good info on the current
        and expected snow conditions. Your best access is probably through
        Reno with a bus to and from South Lake Tahoe. Start and end at Echo
        Summit (Echo Lake Resort) on highway 50. Some of the SLT motels offer
        free shuttle services to hikers.

        Wandering Bob